Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear bumper question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I am preparing my 1950 Series 23 Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan for paint. After pulling the rear bumper I noticed a horizontal sheet metal flange behind the bumper with staples in it. The staples are along the rear edge of the flange and have nothing attached to them. They are spaced in a row all across the car. Does anyone know what these staples are for?

I want to replace a part if it is missing. The staples are all intact closed neatly and have not been bent or disturbed apparently since new. My Packard has only been repainted once since new.

Posted on: 2012/11/24 10:26
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear bumper question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The staples held a rubber splash guard strip which apparently was removed on your car.

Posted on: 2012/11/24 10:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
steele rubber products has the strip, it is not much fun to put on with staples-i cement with 3m and many clamps, let dry for several days and then make new staples with ss wire. it is not hard to remove from the car and replace after painting.

Posted on: 2012/11/24 11:14

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Thanks. I think I will try to cement it in place rather than trying to make staples.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 1:07
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I made staples from SS wire and put them through the original holes. It was very simple. The SS wire was the handles from several chinese takeouts. Fit very well.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I got a lot of rubber parts from Steele but the rear splash pan strip remains a mystery. I talked to the lady at Steele over the phone and she did not know anything about the original rubber strip on the Packard. The part listed in the Steel catalogue is not even close to fitting. She ended up sending me samples of 5 different possible rubber strips but none looks like a good fit.

Here is the problem. The metal splash pan on the car ends with a turned down flange about 1/4" high. The strips she sent me are all u-shaped rubber strips with a narrow slot that might work on a panel without a flange. When you slide the rubber strip over the flange it opens up and looks like it would never come close to fitting the metal.

Does anyone have a photo or a sketch of the original part? I am sure both Steele and I would benefit.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 13:52
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Fred; the u channel is what Packard used, i will see if i have a picture of what is left on my extra pan or i will get one of what i put on my 48 woodie, no bumper on it yet. the u rubber sits on on top of the pan with the open end edge facing the back of the car. dell

Posted on: 2012/12/16 14:00

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I posted a website yesterday for "nuts and bolts" in the general forum. They have the U shaped rubber that is a generic product. that's what I'm getting for my 51 that will be repainted this week.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I have a NOS panel with the rubber stapled on it measures 7/8 inch each way

Attach file:

jpg  (69.66 KB)
1052_50d1cb29bd1ac.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (79.00 KB)
1052_50d1cb5022366.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/12/19 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Wow lots of new information. Thanks for all the help. I am still confused however. Does anyone have a photo of what the rubber looks like stapled to the splash pan?

I am not sure what the rubber does. Is it supposed to touch the bumper or is there a gap? Is it flush with the rear edge of the pan or does it hang over a bit?

Posted on: 2012/12/19 10:38
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved