Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trico automatic windshild washer is magic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
When I bought my car a year ago it had the Trico windshield washer pump under the hood but it was for show and not go.

I decided to make this all work so here is the saga:
Many posts and many replies with pictures and verbal descriptions later. . . . .

My car is a 1954 Packard Cavalier, the wiper control is a small knob on the left side of the steering column with a small button in the middle. Turn the knob and turn on the wipers.

Push the button for a second or two and release it, and water (or Packard brand washer fluid) is sprayed onto the windshield and immediately the wipers start by themselves and run until the water quits spraying.

This is a Vacuum powered system made by Trico.
The button closes a switch which operates a 6 volt solenoid on the pump which sets this in motion all automatically, hands free.

Parts are getting scarce and hard to find.
I rebuilt the pump with a new rebuild kit from McVeys Cadalic.

I got the Co-Ordinator on eBay from a Chevy parts guy.
Robert Ficken (Wiperman) sold me a nice rebuilt wiper motor, and I supplied the labor.

There were questions as to if the wiper motor with the Co-Ordinator would fit properly under the hood using the existing mounting bracket and it does. The Co-Ordinator is the little black plastic cylinder to the right side of the wiper motor which turns on the motor when the logic on the pump say water is about to flow.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.82 KB)
4095_513b916d1ba2a.jpg 1280X695 px

jpg  (74.35 KB)
4095_513b91fde8c21.jpg 1280X803 px

Posted on: 2013/3/9 14:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Trico automatic windshild washer is magic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Well done.

After seeing your coordinator mounted, I'm even more convinced the reason the motor was tilted down in 54 only was because of the hydraulic pump.

Since the coordinator was a new addition and not knowing which cars would be equipped with both the washer and the hydraulics, it must have been decided to tilt the motor for all. With the tilt the coordinator wouldn't run into the pump bracket but would instead fall in the clear space near or behind the pump solenoid.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.67 KB)
209_513b9677410a2.jpg 510X391 px

Posted on: 2013/3/9 15:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Trico automatic windshild washer is magic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I can see how the hydraulic pump unit could get in the way. Fortunately I don't have that feature on my car.

I didn't know what I was in for until I started seeing replies here on the forum to my initial questions.

Pictures are the best part.

I downloaded the pump rebuild instruction from the forum first, which is the cause for all of this.

The wiper motor I had worked after I did my version of a rebuild. but . . . .

The new wiper motor runs 1000% better on almost no vacuum, and the fact its seals don't leak means it will run the wipers on a dry windshield at idle speed or with my foot in the gas it only slows just a bit.

The hardest part was the rubber tubing up under the dash to the nozzles.

Again thanks to all for the help on this project.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/3/9 17:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved