Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 167

37Blanche, Chuck McDonald, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

radiator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
Does anyone have any tips for for a leaky radiator? would it be okay to put that liquid glass stuff in it?

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:25
 Top  Print   

Re: radiator
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Go get it properly serviced. Those are bandaids at best and anything you put in the radiator to stop the leak also ends up in the motor, waterpump and distribution tube. Better to fix it right, then pay for bandaids, and still end up having to pay later to fix it right.

Plus you dont want to end up stranded somewhere, or with an overheated motor. Cause then it gets really expensive. Just my

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How to approach it depends in part on where the leaks are, in the tank seams? In the core? Both?

In general radiator stop leak solutions like Indian Head, which I've had good luck with are at best stopgap measures best left to use as an emergency fix on the road. There is also the risk they will also inhibit flow thru the core and if you have a borderline overheating problem they may well make it worse. And they are hardly a permanent fix. For leaks at the tank seams they can be soldered, sometimes in the car depending on location, but best done by removing the radiator. At that point or if the leak is in the core, you're better advised to take the radiator to a good radiator shop, have it cleaned and tested, and repaired as long as the core is decent. If not, be prepared for $400 or more for a new core.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
I will get it repaired thanks for the replies!!

Posted on: 2013/3/21 12:20
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
I live around conroe, tx. north of houston does any body know a reputable repair shop? I have been ripped off before so i dont want to take it just anywhere.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Keep in mind that the liquid glass stuff is what they used to seize up engines during Cash-for-Clunkers.

The best fix is to have someone replace the old core with three or four new cores, whatever they can put between the original tanks.

These cars need good cooling.

I spent a lot of time and money repairing an old Model T Ford radiator and finally bought a brand new repo and it runs cool on the hottest days in Phoenix AZ.

I believe they use readymade cores and stack them together and they look like the original single core.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/3/21 12:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Have you contacted Lone Star Packards in Houston?
http://www.lonestarpackards.com

I believe we have some posters from that region. Looking at their website they list a radiator shop some of the club members have used.

If you do Facebook, post it there as well, I know there are LSP people posting there.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Packard-Automobile-Classics-The-Packard-Club/113322083096

Posted on: 2013/3/21 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
There's a guy here in the panhandle that does it cheap! He an oldtimer who does things right. I brought my 37 ford radiator in he fixed the core fixed a thin spot in the tank and repainted the tank when he was done: $40!

Posted on: 2013/3/22 9:30
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
We have a pretty good radiator shop we use in Austin, if you can't find one in Houston. Just PM me.

Cheers,

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:49
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved