Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 235

HH56, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

climate controlled storage
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
With the purchase of 2 more classic cars I'm thinking about having my storage climate controlled. What is the optimum temp and humidity for keeping the vehicles preserved as good as possible. Remember the humidity here in west Texas is usually less than 15%!

Posted on: 2013/4/6 11:16
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: climate controlled storage
Just popping in
Just popping in

Don R
See User information
West Texas is a great place to store cars regarding the low humidity, you will have no worries about rust or mildew. The issues there are high temperature baking plastics and interior materials, and potential varmint damage. I live in McKinney near Dallas which is more temperate and just have my 3-car garage. I have an exterminator in quarterly to bait for mice and spray for bugs. I installed a large window air conditioner which allows me to work comfortably in the summer, but I doubt it would be practical to cool a storage garage all the time...

Posted on: 2013/4/7 10:44
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

antiquecarman
See User information
65 - 70 degrees
25 - 30 % humidity
And just as important is to not have wide lows and highs.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
http://www.philamuseum.org/conservation/10.html?page=3

What effects do exposure to temperature and humidity have on a museum's collections?

Damage from physical stress. High relative humidity can cause the growth of mold and fungi.

The most significant aspect of temperature is its effect on relative humidity (RH). Relative Humidity is a measure of the amount of moisture in the air relative to the amount the air is capable of holding, expressed as a percentage. If the air at a particular temperature contains half the water vapor it can hold at that temperature, the relative humidity is 50%. Acute changes in temperature and humidity will cause swelling and contraction as the materials in an object or artifact attempt to adjust to the environment. Objects are often composed of more than one type of material. Each material responds differently to water vapor in the air and adjusts to its particular EMC (equilibrium moisture content) at different relative humidities. Of particular concern are the internal stresses created by expansion and contraction of the different materials as moisture diffuses into or out of the surrounding air.

Three different forms of deterioration caused by humidity:
Mode Effect
Dimensional Change warping, dislocation of joints, splitting, breaking of fibers, delamination, loss of surface material, cracking
Chemical Reaction corrosion of metals, fading of dyes, weeping or crizzling glass (clouding), cystallization and movement of salts, disintegration and yellowing of paper
Biodeterioration mold growth (RH 70% or above), bacteria

At the Museum, objects are stored and displayed in stable relative humidity and temperature to minimize the risk of damage. When prepared for transport, objects are packed carefully using insulating foams and barrier films (to control variations in temperature and humidity) in custom constructed crates.
How can relative humidity be measured?
The recording hygrothermograph is one of the most common devices in use by museums today to measure temperature and RH. You may see these in discreet locations throughout the Museum galleries. The charts on the drum hold a one-week record of readings made by a sensor of human or synthetic hair (for humidity) and a bi-metallic strip (for temperature). Each sensor is attached to a separate pen which in turn moves up or down in response to a change in humidity or temperature. Because of the sensitive nature of the mechanism, the hygrothermograph requires frequent calibration. One device used in calibration because of its reliability is called the psychrometer.

A psychrometer consists of two ordinary thermometers. The dry bulb simply reads air temperature. The wet bulb has a fabric sleeve fitted over the mercury bulb, which is wetted with distilled water. Swinging this instrument around will move air past the wet bulb cooling it by evaporation of water and thus giving a lower temperature reading than the dry bulb (provided the air is not fully saturated with moisture.) The difference between the temperature of the wet bulb and dry bulb is calculated and RH is determined from a chart called a hygrometric table.
A few other devices used to measure temperature and RH levels in the museum environment are:

Dial Hygrometer - this device can be hung on a wall or shelf mounted. Measures temperature and humidity within 3 degrees.
Data Logger - this device can record, display and download temperature and humidity information to a computer for analysis and tracking.
Analog Thermohygrometer - this device is placed discreetly in exhibit cases to monitor temperature and humidity levels
Temp/Humidity Cards - these cards record temp/humidity levels by inidcating a change in color from blue (drier) to pink (wetter).

What RH levels are ideal in the museum environment?
General guidelines for temperature and humidity conditions within the Museum are illustrated in the chart below:

Type of Object %RH Degrees in Farenheit
Furniture 45 - 55% 68 - 72?
Paintings and Paper
Textiles
Objects

Some objects require controlled microenvironments. For example some metal objects are displayed at low relative humidity to slow the rate of corrosion. Other materials, such as high-fired ceramics, are less sensitive to relative humidity.
What is being done in the Museum to control temperature and humidity levels?
Sophisticated air handling units are the best protection against sharp fluctuations in temperature and humidity. The Museum utilizes a complex network of air handling systems that regulate temperature and humidity levels throughout the entire building. A computer controlled HVAC system maintains 70? temperature/50% humidity environmental condition year round in the galleries and storage areas. Each area within the Museum contains a sensor which will trip an alert if the levels go out of the normal range (?2?). In the case of an alert, building maintenance crews can react quickly to resolve any problems. This provides invaluable environmental protection for the Museum's collections.

Humidity buffering materials such as silica gel can be used to control relative humidity within a closed microenvironment like a display or storage case.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Gee, I wish I were a billionaire so I could afford to store my Clipper like this ...

Posted on: 2013/4/7 17:08
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
32model901, you bring back memories of using a sling psychrometer 40 or more years ago.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I sure appreciate the sheer amount of information about humidity, relative humidity, temp etc. but how do I translate all that into something practical here?
Summers are usually in the90's with about 2-3 wks in the upper 90's or tripple digits. Humidity aprox 10-15%
Winters are mild with occasionally freezing temp down to the lower teens. Humidity aprox 10-15%.

Should I run a humidifyer in my storage? The storage has 2 little windows (12 by 6 inches) so sunlight is minimum, I plan on covering those with newspaper to make sure theres no straight sunlight on the vehicles. I think I should put an ac in there for the summertime as well.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 20:32

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I think you folks are really on the right track ... in fact it occurred to me that you could really enjoy your Packard a lot more -- and keep it in a much lower-cost climate-controlled environment -- if you do as a friend of mine does and keep your car in your living room. That way you not only avoid bird poop and other inconveniences, while at the same time you can sit in your car and watch your big-screen TV! It's a lot like being at a drive-in theater!

Attach file:

jpg  (43.50 KB)
5003_51645f9a9ab03.jpg 903X425 px

Posted on: 2013/4/9 13:36
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Humidity is your enemy, if the car is old enough to have a wood framed body too little humidity is a problem.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Now where is the middle of the road when it comes to humidity?

Posted on: 2013/4/9 14:06

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved