Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Walter M. Murphy, Pasadena
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Some few times Dave (O_D) mentioned the coachbuilder Murphy. It's time for a related thread, which will be short in all probability. The company existed not longer than 12 years and was focused on Duesenberg's.

[picture source: ebay]

Attach file:

jpg  (53.05 KB)
757_51f843cf17db5.jpg 720X577 px

Posted on: 2013/7/30 17:53
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: Walter M. Murphy, Pasadena
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here is a good website on the history of the Murphy Co. for those who would like more information.http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/m/murphy/murphy.htm

Posted on: 2013/7/30 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a 6-45 towncar by Murphy, photo taken at the PAC National in Danvers, MA in 2005. Owner, Bob Valpey.

Steve Babinsky also has a 236 Murphy disappearing top convertible coupe, sorry but no picture. I've also been searching for a picture of the Jeanette MacDonald 1934 Twelve 1108 town car which I believe was done by Murphy, does anyone have that photo? Stunning car and as I recall one of the most expensive Packard customs of the era, often stated to have been about $10,000.

Attach file:

jpg  (137.00 KB)
177_51f90bd5c1260.jpg 1200X704 px

Posted on: 2013/7/31 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I've also been searching for a picture of the Jeanette MacDonald 1934 Twelve 1108 town car which I believe was done by Murphy, does anyone have that photo? Stunning car and as I recall one of the most expensive Packard customs of the era at about $10,000.

Dave, I'm convinced, that you'll like this photo series , taken 1958.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A signature design feature of Murphy were the thin windshield posts. Lore has it that the width was less than the distance between our eyes and the thin posts would disappear when looking out of the car.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/31 10:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John, when I take your description into account, then the photo series above isn't a Murphy. So how about this?

[picture source: www.classics.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (117.16 KB)
757_51f92e8b2b781.jpg 792X638 px

Posted on: 2013/7/31 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm thinking my memory may be playing tricks, perhaps the 34 Twelve for Jeanette MacDonald was by Bohman & Schwartz, perhaps this car? Photo credit to Bill Friedrich.

Attach file:

jpg  (147.99 KB)
177_51f92e15ac08e.jpg 1280X830 px

Posted on: 2013/7/31 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd, can't say that all Murphy cars had this design feature, but the ones you showed all have thin windshield posts, at least as compared to what was usually done in those days. This styling feature may not have been exclusive to Murphy and others could have used it too. A lot of automobile custom coach work was going on in Southern California in the 1920s and 1930s due primarily to the movie industry. Thanks for sharing.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/31 12:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, a case in point is the "clear vision" sedan as executed by Murphy on the Duesenberg chassis, lots of glass, very slender pillars.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I'm thinking my memory may be playing tricks, perhaps the 34 Twelve for Jeanette MacDonald was by Bohman & Schwartz, perhaps this car?...

Dave (O_D), after using the above mentioned link from David everybody will certify you a good eye and memory. Bohman as well as Schwartz were former Murphy employees, they purchased some of Murphy's shop equipment, hired a number of ex-?Murphy employees and inherited even open orders from Murphy. Your 1934 B&S has been built two years after Murphy's closing.
John, that's the reason for similar lines. Murphy's body shop run into Bohman & Schwartz.

Below a non-controversial Murphy (factory photo).

[picture source: ebay]

Attach file:

jpg  (57.44 KB)
757_51f97304a1500.jpg 720X577 px

Posted on: 2013/7/31 15:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved