Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

carb issue
Just popping in
Just popping in

scheffner
See User information
I have a 1937 super eight. After driving the car and shutting off the engine there is often some gas that drips out if the carb through a line that ends at the bottom of the crankcase at the splash pan. Sometimes it's more than others but from the shop manual I can't tell why, or if this is normal. Would it have anything to do with the automatic choke possibly sticking ? I think the car sometimes lacks power on hills (but not sure what to expect from a car of that weight that is 77 years old), and there is some trouble starting when warm that the manual mentions regarding a sticking choke.
Any ideas ?

Posted on: 2013/8/25 18:55
 Top  Print   

Re: carb issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Scheffner

It's intentional. There is a drain on the manifold with a check valve that opens when engine vacuum ceases e.g when the engine stops. This is to prevent raw gas that collects in the manifold washing into the cylinders on the next start up.

Clear as mud?

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2013/8/25 21:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Schneff:

That is symptom of clogged main jet air bleeds on the Stromberg carburetor. Concurrent should be extended cranking when hot.

The anti-flood prevents the manifold from filling up with gasoline and backfiring.

To fix it requires disassembly by an experienced carb rebuilder like Daytona or the Carburetor Doctor because it requires a special jet wrench and a hammer.

Eventually the car will start running poorly, and you could soak the main body in lacquer thinner or PPG DX440 which may help a little bit. But do not soak extensively in strong reactive solvents like Aerocarb.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 21:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

scheffner
See User information
Thank you both - making more sense now. My gut was telling me I may be looking at a carb rebuild, thanks no doubt to the wonders of ethanol. The car is all original and I want to get the same carb back. Do those that you mentioned do that, and any idea of the cost ?

Posted on: 2013/8/26 7:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved