Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

Oldcaddies , mjschenden, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 headliner and windlace question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
First, a question on size of windlace. I have obtained samples of the typical currently available material in 1/2 inch core. It seems like it might be larger than what is left of the original stuff still in the car. The original has turned rock hard in spots and to powder in others and maybe shriveled as well. Kind of hard to reliably guess the size. Does anyone know if the original was 1/2 or possibly was 3/8.

Probably a moot point because what I found in a color and reasonably good texture to the original is only available in 1/2" but am still curious. At the moment 1/2" looks to be the only ready made option.

On another note, I believe it was suggested earlier the original headliner was wool. Hirsch has that material and a few months ago would make one for $800. Probably more now. Kanter has a material which I think is cotton but not sure. Anyone have a good way to tell on a small piece of material? Kanter's offering is a darn near perfect color match to Hirsch's sample and to what I think was an unfaded piece of the original. The texture is also fairly close to Hirsch's sample offering and to the original.

I'm sorely tempted to save a couple of hundred since in all probability it will have a hole cut in it for AC. Still up in the air on that one but still a possibility. Has anyone used one of Kanter's headliners recently? I used one on a 56 some 20 plus years ago and that fit OK but was nowhere close to the original in material. Just wondering how, if any, things have changed and if anyone has recent experience - good or bad.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 11:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 headliner and windlace question
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am also interested in where people are buying their headliners as well. That is the next big purchase I need to make, and also need extra material for the sunvisors and B-Pillar panels to match. My material should be med/light blue napped cotton. For me I want to make sure the headliner is actually going to extend all the way down to the package tray along the C-Pillars correctly.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 11:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Howard, Kev -- I've sung this fellow's praises before, but
Armand Annereau, Armand's Auto Upholstery, Walnut Creek, CA
1 (925) 934-4373, is a fourth-generation auto upholstery shop
established in 1 8 9 7, specializing in Packards.

Armand's owned and owns Packard pre- and postwar, has the
big upholstery sample books Packard issued only to their larger urban dealers for every year. If a fabric is available from any mill on the planet, Armand has already
sourced it, has it in stock or can get it. He's done
work for the nearby Behring/Blackhawk Auto Museum/Collection,
show winners at every concours from Silverado and Palo Alto to Rabble Beach, and is the one other judges turn to for an
obscure question on authenticity in any Packard.

A friend took his '36 Cord Westchester to Armand and he
got the stitches straighter than the Connersville factory.

Armand speaks fluent Packard and then some. His prices
reasonable and you may have found that people who know our cars don't always charge more than generic or boat cover shops
who dabble.

Tell him a black '47 Super Clipper in Walnut Creek sent you.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 12:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like he does superb work. Not sure it will fit my PBR budget.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 13:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
---- Not sure it will fit my PBR budget.

Or mine. I am looking for information right now for things I can do, buy or specify that are mostly correct & can have delivered for local people to install. Am sure Armand would do superb work but am also sure he couldn't do it remotely. This car will not likely be seeing the bay area in my lifetime -- or maybe I should say my ownership -- so that he could even work on it so it wouldn't be right to waste his time with questions.

The car was too far gone to be able to afford it a complete restoration on my budget or physical abilities -- and you can buy complete cars off ebay for less than I have in it now. The goal is to get the car in a running condition so my heirs will be less likely to call the junkyard (they have no interest in old cars and may do that anyway) but don't think a perfect 100 point interior is going to be justified -- particularly if I decide to cut a hole in the headliner for AC.

As mentioned before, will try and get this car presentable but will be somewhat non stock and probably a 20-50 footer when it's all said and done. I just want things I do to be reversible or look like something Packard would have done and be done decently.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 15:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved