Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 question please.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As some know, I'm playing around with important stuff right now -- air conditioning.

Am mounting the compressor and will be cutting a plate to bolt onto a slightly relocated prewar type bracket. Of course modern Sanden compressors are nothing like original compressors. Hence the question:

Am thinking I have everything positioned and all will clear now. If it becomes advantageous to move the compressor from were I show it, how much farther toward the fender can I go before running into stuff. I have no good photos of that area. Know the hood latch is in that circled area but anything else in that space which would prevent the compressor moving another inch +/-? If someone would be so kind as to look or even better provide a straight down photo similar to mine, I would be most appreciative.

There are holes on the vertical side of brackets (short arrow) at both side of the cradle. Photos I have of drivers side would make me believe they are not used on a 47 but would like to confirm that.

Incidentally, am able to confirm that Sandens do not like 6.3v but will work OK on higher. I am wondering if those people that say they work on 6v might have upped their charging rate or switched to 8v. Neither is a good option but maybe something can be done that doesn't require a total conversion to 12v or an extra alternator. Stay tuned.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.36 KB)
209_5258323d68d98.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/10/11 12:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 question please.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard - I recommend you contact Terry Weiss in Tyler Texas (sweetmumsie@gmail.com) he has some good experience with early air conditioning systems on our Packards. He has Jim Hollingsworth's air conditioned 1941 Clipper. He is running a Saden compressor on the 6-volt system. I am sure he would be pleased to help you with your questions. Another Packard gentleman.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/11 17:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi Howard,
I don't know if these pictures will help or not but here are two from different angles.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (87.55 KB)
1003_52588f8202db8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (113.59 KB)
1003_52589140c77d7.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/10/11 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A thought just occurred to me. How hard would it be to rewind a compressor coil for 6 volt? It is not a moving part, if one knew what size wire to use and how many turns, or how much wire to use it would not be hard to wind by hand or with a simple home made crank.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks everyone. Sent a note to Mr. Weiss and hope to hear something back on how he is doing his clutch and a couple of other things.

The coil rewinding is an idea that has been mentioned before & thought someone had looked into it 2-3 years ago. For some reason it never happened so don't know if there is more to it than just winding a coil. Maybe the current draw and heat was too high or probably was just not enough interest to make it worthwhile. I'd think one of the aftermarket companies would offer something if there was money to be made. Perhaps there is someone more familiar with the attempt or someone more up on electrical theory who could fill in the blanks.

The photos are perfect and thanks for taking the time. They show what I was hoping to see. Nothing uses the space so if the belt turns out to need a bit extra, compressor can go over and up slightly. Was limited by the wide Packard drive pulley and finding a usable modern off the shelf belt turned out to be harder than I thought. Not out of the woods yet but a couple more look promising now that there is some option.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 22:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved