Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'28 Rear End gear ratio identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Pulling the rear differential cover to clean, I found the following stamped on the ring gear. The Service Parts List being issued in 1927 did not have the part number I saw. Stamped in the gear was the following:
141571-13-57 Packard 6-28.
Does this tell me I have a 4.38 to 1 gear ratio? I assume the 6-28 is June 1928 mfg date.

Posted on: 2013/12/26 17:27
 Top  Print   

Re: '28 Rear End gear ratio identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Looks like you have a 57 tooth ring gear and a 13 tooth pinion which gives a ratio of 4.38 ( 57/13 = 4.38)
Count the teeth to confirm.
This corresponds with the drive ratio for a 4th or 5th series six cylinder open car.
The part number in the book is for the differential assembly not the ring gear.
The same ratio was also used in some of 3rd, 4th & 6th series eight cylinder cars

Posted on: 2013/12/27 4:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Thanks for the confirmation. I have a 1928 model 526, 6 cyl 5 passenger sedan. The standard ratio that year was 4.69 to 1 according to the parts book. Does this mean that with my ratio I can get a faster top speed with lower rpm? I am told that I should try to keep my engine speed below 2500 rpm so as not to tax the motor and transmission. Does my ratio do better at this than the standard ratio?

Posted on: 2013/12/27 11:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, slightly. You'll have 4.38 engine revolutions per revolution of the rear wheel versus 4.69. Measure the circumference (or diameter x pi) of your rear tires and do the math to get rpm at various mph.

Or, if your tire size is the same, use this chart from the Packard service letters. Even if your tire size is different you can see the relative differences between the 4.38 and 4.69.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.52 KB)
177_52bdad9046faa.jpg 516X609 px

Posted on: 2013/12/27 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
As OD says the difference will be slight.
I had to change the 4.69 :1 ring gear and pinion unit in my 1929 633 sedan due to wear and the only replacement available was a 4.38 : 1. I was a little concerned that the higher ratio would reduce hill climbing but it was not a problem. The comfortable maximum cruising speed increased slightly to about 48 mph and I could not detect any change in hill climbing.
Overall a small improvement.
It takes a much greater ratio change to significantly increase the cruising speed but it will be at the expense of top gear performance on steep hills. Both 4.69/1 & 4.38/1 would be well matched to your car.

Posted on: 2013/12/27 16:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved