Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

underseat heater
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
my 39 120 has an undersea heater, installed post dealer, under the passenger side of the front seat. From the underside, it looks like someone cut the holes for the water lines with an ax. So I'm assuming that it wasn't a Packard dealer, but perhaps a shade tree mechanic who installed it. I just finished hooking up the NOS heater control knobs, so both the underseat heater and under dash heater/defroster fans work fine. What has hit me is that the underseat one has a front and rear outlet, but there is no top to the box. The fan is exposed, which does make it easy to balance the blades. However, I suspect that the heater won't work without a top on it. Does anyone have a photo of what the top is supposed to look like? I think I can fabricate one, but it would be nice to see an original one. Here's a photo of the fan.

The rod is the seat adjustment mechanism. Someone has wrapped rubber tubing around it, I assume to prevent rattles.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.67 KB)
1679_52dc8a90ce199.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/1/19 21:31
 Top  Print   

Re: underseat heater
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That bare blade is about all they did until at least 22nd series. The 42-47 unit looks to be exactly the same and may be the one you have. Suspect thru 50 was probably unchanged.

At some time the unit was redesigned having a flat case with the fan blades protruding slightly above the top. Those blades were surrounded by just a round collar. In 54 they issued a service bulletin to replace just the bare collar with one having a screen. Here is a photo of that change.

Should be easy enough to add something to yours using a similar screen. Flat with maybe an antirattle or rubber edge cushion around the perimeter.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.83 KB)
209_52dc91942efe5.jpg 640X525 px

jpg  (25.34 KB)
209_52dc91a1cd95c.jpg 640X320 px

Posted on: 2014/1/19 22:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
That looks like exactly what I need. My unit has the two small screw holes on each side, corresponding to the circular ring. Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2014/1/20 9:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
David,
Actually, these were offered in 40 and a couple later years and were available for installation by the dealer for the earlier cars. Every one of these I have seen has had no guard or other cover over the fan.
Although it may be a good idea to install a guard on it to prevent things from hitting the blades, it does not 'need' it to function. The blades pull the air down and blow it across the heated radiator and out the sides. Once you turn it on, you feel it.

That heater should make your rear passengers happy out there in Montana.

PM

Posted on: 2014/1/20 21:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved