Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
254 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 249

Phat Jonny, humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fumes in the car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I love driving my 1950 Packard on club tours, but my wife does not like riding in it. She says she is bothered by the fumes from the engine coming into the cab. I think the source of the fumes is the oil breather which does not recycle the vent fumes like a newer car. Also the hood release linkagage on both sides have a crude imperfect seal to keep fumes from leaking through the firewall.
Does anyone have experience in curing this problem? My first thought is to design a better seal that fits tighter around the hood release link.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 14:44
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Fumes in the car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another place fumes could enter is the air vent and heater system. That is fairly close to the line of fire from the road draft tube if one of the ducts, connections, or gaskets is loose or missing.

I'm curious if your hood release mechanism is complete and rubber seal is installed correctly. If the rubber seal is fresh and positioned properly and the large split washer is seated in the notch, the rubber is compressed tightly against the firewall by the washer when closed. It seals quite snugly on my 47.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fumes could be coming in thru the fresh air vent system. Also, are you sure the crankcase breather pipe is free and functioning? It requires the oil filler cap mesh filter to be clean.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Fred:

First question is: What kind of fumes?

You can buy a carbon monoxide detector or test strips that will determine if it is exhaust oriented (manifold, exhaust system leaks, holes in the floor). If the tests show positive then proceed appropriately.

You can also take the car to a shop that has an exhaust analyzer and test the cabin and engine compartment.

If the breather is the culprit the motor should have rotten compression.

If the motor is painted then it may be paint fumes from a hot motor.

Gasoline leaks will also create fumes as will a leaking radiator.

Finally there is that old car smell which people can dislike as much as old man smell. I live alone so I don't worry about it.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 17:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved