Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

Will Rose, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Expected costs to rebuild 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
There's currently a 21st series Custom Super listed on eBay that features a 356 rebuilt by Byron York of Ridgefield, CT. The seller states that the rebuild cost $20,000. Is this for real? Maybe I've been around Brand X for too long but I can't fathom running up that kind of a tab for a motor.

Since I have my own '47 Custom stored away for when I've both time and resources available, I'm interested in any feedback those of you with experience might be willing to offer. Is that kind of investment normal for a 356? If it is, what is it that makes these motors so expensive to rebuild? I know things get pricey when you get near the coasts, but 20 grand seems like it ought to buy parts and machine work for more than just one engine.

Just as a disclaimer...I don't know the seller or the car and am not questioning any claims that he makes in the ad. I was just shocked when I read the $20K figure and am beginning to worry that I'll never have that kind of money to throw at my car.

Thanks,
Scott G.

Posted on: 2014/4/11 16:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Expected costs to rebuild 356
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross Miller may have the best current perspective on this, but much of the difference is costs lies in the difference between just doing a basic short block, and doing the entire engine and accessories. I was involved in two 356 rebuilds by two different shops about 3 years ago. If you personally remove the engine, store the car, do the basic cleaning, do all the accessories like the starter, generator, carburetor, distributor etc. by yourself and reinstall the engine, I think you should plan on about $7000 - $10,000 to an engine rebuilder. Remember that if the crank rod journals need turning there is a significant cost in removing and later reinstalling all the counterweights - not a trivial job. Byron's cost may also have included what is also often done at engine rebuild time, all the electricals serviced, new radiator core, resurfaced flywheel, disc & pressure plate, hard exhaust valve seat inserts, manifolds planed, engine cosmetics, and more.

Posted on: 2014/4/11 17:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Expected costs to rebuild 356
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good question and for comparison, I'm kind of curious what today's going rate is too. Just checked the bill from 1995 when mine was done and the total was $3774 -- and that was with me supplying many NOS parts from my inventory. It was done by a real shop that specialized in Packards so there were a few other parts the shop sourced and supplied.

One problem with getting it done today is you are at the mercy of those who are willing. Some shops can't handle the length of the crankshaft or block and others don't want to -- sometimes because it's not a cheby with parts available down the street and sometimes because they don't want to get involved with the pain of the 356 counterweights having to be removed and reinstalled.

The shops that will work on them have a closed fairly non-competitive market and I would be very surprised if they didn't know it.

Posted on: 2014/4/11 17:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved