Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Why Do We Show Our Cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Sometimes people I know think owners show their cars as a means of gloating or stroking their egos. That might be true for some owners, but most of the owners I know who do show their cars that is not the case. For myself, I have long found attending car shows as a way of seeing and enjoying a variety of vehicles and learning a lot from owners. Now I figure it's my turn.

On Saturday I will take the Bumblebee to the City of Fairfax, VA Antique Auto Show, where it will hang out with about 60 of its friends. What I like the best is talking with the people who attend and telling them all about my car and about Packards in general. (I wish I could get a nickel every time someone asked me what car company built Packards!) I admit that winning is good too, but it's not the reason I take my car to the two or three shows I participate in.

Any comments?

Posted on: 2014/5/13 6:40
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Re: Why Do We Show Our Cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I so agree. Although I am about two years away yet from getting "Penelope" ready I am looking forward to sharing the History of this car and the many lines of firsts that Packard blazed the trails. If I had an Ego, I would be pushing for a C1 car, but I will be happy if she only comes out at a C4 as long as people get to appreciate one of the Last Detroit beasts.

I have never Car showed before. I have hundreds of Air-shows where I showed my restored aircraft, new sales etc. It was always about peoples fascination and their desire to learn about what makes it tic, that I enjoy. Their is nothing greater than a third grade boy who was so fascinated by airplanes and had a million questions that I wound up giving a ride to and let him take the wheel. Today, that boy just graduated last week with an Aviation degree and is now a commercial pilot. That is what it is about for me, check the ego at the door.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.25 KB)
17226_537214518d0b4.jpg 720X720 px

Posted on: 2014/5/13 7:40
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Restored airplane? That is really cool. A good friend of mine in Alaska is restoring a Beech V-tail from the 1940s. I am looking forward to seeing your completed Patrician.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 8:42
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
So cool, I use to work for Beech, it is still the only manufacturer that makes all components in house, although they are starting to farm things out. :(

Here is a 3/4 scale P-51 mustang new build my buddy owns. The last restore was a WWI Eindecker eIII

Attach file:

jpg  (50.05 KB)
17226_537223f9eaac0.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2014/5/13 8:54
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
For me it's about enjoying the people and the cars. It's about the dream of a small boy who was enamored with the all of the vehicles and vendors seen year after year at the AACA Eastern Fall Meet in Hershey.

I'm finally able to be the caretaker of my own vintage vehicle, and love going to shows and cruise-ins just to hang out with other car people. I really enjoy talking to with folks about their cars, and talking with folks about my car.

The other cool thing about owning a pre-war car is that when I go up to Home Depot, or the supermarket it often turns into a mini car show, which is totally cool.

Chad

Attach file:

jpg  (142.07 KB)
36035_537224c1d1a2e.jpg 1280X851 px

Posted on: 2014/5/13 8:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"The last restore was a WWI Eindecker eIII"

Saw one of those at the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre in New Zealand while there in February for their Packard Rally.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.54 KB)
226_53727c9041349.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/5/13 15:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Well stated, Chad. As a kid growing up in Southern California, I cut my teeth on fenders and remember a lot of great cars and having a Packard is a dream come true for me.

Ozstatman: Thanks for the picture of the Eindecker. Great plane to look at, but I wouldn't want to go up in one of those aircraft!

Posted on: 2014/5/13 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
When you are asked about your car, what are the top things you like to tell people about it?

P.S.
My favorites are the people who tell you with absolute certainty things about your car that are absolutely incorrect. In my case that my car has a straight eight engine and air bags, both of which I get several times a summer....

Posted on: 2014/5/13 19:46
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I tell them about the car's history as far as I know it, i.e. it was purchased in Albuquerque, N.M. and restored in the 1980s in Minnesota. I talk about how advanced the Clipper was in 1955, with its torsion bar suspension, power steering, power brakes, etc. I tell them what a pleasant car it is to drive. I encourage them to consider an antique car -- that a person does not have to be rich to own one and what a great time they can have with the various car clubs.

Gosh, Pat, I didn't know my car was supposed to have air bags. I haven't been able to find the computer sensors either ...

Posted on: 2014/5/14 7:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I think they confuse the torsion bar suspension with airbags, not the safety airbags in the dash.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 7:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved