Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 191

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fender Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I have some old damage to the driver side rear fender on my '51 coupe. When the old bondo patch fell off, you can see that the bottom was hit and gashed open. It was roughly hammered back to shape, the cut welded, and covered with a 1/4 in of plastic. Now its wrinkled and rusty. I'd like to cut this all out and replace all of the damaged metal properly.

My question is: Can I use the door skin off of a 4-door to make a patch?
They look like the same shape, but will it line up to the coupe fender?

Any input gentlemen...

Attach file:

jpg  (54.26 KB)
426_538fdde2702aa.jpg 864X648 px

Posted on: 2014/6/4 22:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Fender Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Any 51-53 rear door will yield a nice patch for that. You will only be wishing for more metal at the bottom as the door is of course cut to pass over the rocker panel. If you can get a senior door you will be able move you weld line all the way back to the edge of the pressed in speedline on your coupe, which will give a better result.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 6:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I suggest you better investigate your damage further. That rust is likely well under the paint and might need a larger patch than you think.
I'd get an estimate before deciding to do it yourself.
It looks like a patch that could be made fairly easily out of sheet stock.
It's old paint so probably a full quarter paint is best to get to look right. But have to evaluate the rest of the paint, can it be buffed to match. Not a rattle can fix.
You might find an old timer who could spot and feather match that old paint but todays guys haven't worked with it.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
Ross is a genius!!!

Posted on: 2014/7/4 19:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
I coming in a little late on this one.Your car appears to be in really decent shape. Have you fixed the 1/4 panel yet.

Posted on: 2014/7/5 19:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved