Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 206

Charles, humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 clipper wiper with washer and coordinator
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
looking for DETAILED info on the wiper, washer and vacuum system for the clipper. cannot seem to find rebuild inst, parts kits and prices. was this whole setup used on earlier models? is there a full description of operation? I dont have too much info in the svc manual. thanks

Posted on: 2014/6/5 13:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 clipper wiper with washer and coordinator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Essentially the same unit was used by Packard in 1954 and on many other makes of cars as well thru much of the 50s. The absence of info in the Packard shop manuals is because Packard didn't service these items, they were to be serviced by Trico stations. Ficken Wiper Service (an ex-Trico shop, right over in your neck of the woods, www.wiperman.com as I recall) offers rebuild service and perhaps the occasional individual part but not kits; at one time McVey (the Cadillac folks) also offered a rebuild service for the Trico pumps - they did mine some years back. As to "kits", they may have existed and might still be around but can't say I've seen any offered. Give Ficken a call, and check this:

http://www.wiperman.com/washservpage.html

It's really a simple system once you study it, did you have a specific question?

PS - Ficken's service on the wiper motor is excellent! Folks are often surprised at how superbly vacuum wipers function.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 14:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the motor, I think it will be a rebuild by wiperman as the only (and best) option. Believe he has the market cornered on parts and doesn't sell any kits.

For the washer, McVey's still has the rebuild kits listed in their price listhttp://www.mcveys.com/pricelist.pdf with two kits and price points in the 55 Cadillac section. A different price in the 56 Cad section so not sure what the difference might be. Tucson Packards used to sell a washer kit but he seems to have closed his store. Not sure if any of the other Packard vendors might have something.

As to rebuild instructions, while not official, Big Kev rebuilt his unit using a McVey kit and put together a very nice how to article available for download.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/Rebuilding%20a%20Trico%20Washer.pdf

A couple of years ago I did a how it works post. Don't find it right off to link but if you want my observations -- again, not official -- on the sequence of operation, I can probably figure it out again -- unless someone found a fault with the logic or can find that post again.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 14:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks to all for the info. Yes I have seen the Wiperman Ficken on the net. As an old ASE master tech I prefer to know the operation of each system then make repairs or decide on replacement or service. It is very interesting that the wiper systems can and have been fairly intricate systems through the years. My questions were:Are the Packard wipers supposed to "park" at bottom of the windshield no matter when in the cycle the switch is turned to the off pos. How does the coordinator affect the washer operation and though I am aware of the operation of the aux vacuum pump, I need more info on the check valve behind the carb and the " balancing valve" on the fire wall( see fig 13 pg 6 accessories sec of svc man.) Is this just a tee? I was able to get some info from the pattent description i found on .gov if anyone is interested I can maybe post a link to it as I am not sure I can repost the text without lic. seems the coordinator is a silicone gel filled dashpot solenoid supposed to continue to apply vacuum to operate the wiper motor for a "timed" 3 0r 4 swipes after the washer is engaged and is adj thru a screw and orafice to slow the silicone movement there by slowing the solenoids return. I have experienc with wax filled dashpots to slow choke movement on 80s carbs used by some japanese cars. I did notice a "one way" valve inside the Packard wiper motor which the working wiper motor does not have. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2014/6/12 12:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The check valve behind the carb in the 3/8 tubing is for the brake vacuum and is not directly part of the wiper.

The wiper and washer is supplied by a different manifold vacuum source and by the aux pump thru the balancing valve. The balance valve is basically a flow control valve for the wiper and is constructed so normally both vacuum source ports are open. If the engine is under enough load so the engine vacuum source drops, the valve will actuate to block off the engine port so vacuum is maintained via the aux pump. It will do the same thing in reverse if something happens and the aux pump source is diminished. There is a check valve low on the side of engine in the line from the aux pump. That is to prevent manifold vacuum from pulling any oil from crankcase thru but is not for checking wiper vacuum directly.

The blades do park at the bottom. That is controlled by the main slide valve on the motor. When the wipers are turned on the valve slides to open a port to the center swing valve. The farther the slide moves, the more vacuum is allowed so faster motor will move. The swing valve connects vacuum to each side of the paddle chamber and motor operates as they all do. The vacuum is controlled by the swing valve so the motor paddle does not operate in a full range before it is switched to the opposite side. The V8 motors have the "sweep control" and is a small extra piston assy in that front compartment on the motor. That piston moves a mechanism to change the point where the actuation of the swing valve occurs. Regular sweep or the shorter narrow sweep which results in the so called "fast" action. The presence or absence of vacuum to that extra piston is controlled by the lever on the switch.

When the motor is turned off, the slide valve moves to the extreme end and connects vacuum to an extra port and sort of a cup affair which is in the motor lid. That action pulls the motor paddle past the normal sweep area and up against the lid where it covers the port and cup. Paddle remains pulled in tight to lid with blades on the bottom until the next time the motor is turned on.

Not sure about there being any kind of substance inside the coordinator. I believe it is just a spring, diaphragm & air. Normally vacuum is applied to the solenoid in washer lid and to the water control valve also in lid. Vacuum is blocked from going any farther. When the washer solenoid is electrically activated, vacuum pulls the pump piston up so water can charge. When button is released, vacuum to piston is blocked again, air is allowed to piston and vacuum is still applied to the water control valve. As the spring pushes piston back down and water out, a diaphragm in the control valve is moved by outgoing water pressure to control vacuum to coordinator. In addition to the water flowing to WS, with vacuum allowed to pass thru to the coordinator, that moves the diaphragm to activate the slide valve on motor and start wipers. As the water discharges, vacuum to coordinator is maintained until water stops flowing. When water pressure on the diaphragm stops, vacuum is cut off to coordinator and the air bleed slowly lets air in as the spring pushes diaphragm back. That pulls the slide valve to the off position and motor stops and parks.

The co-ordinator works the slide valve in the same fashion as the cable from switch would on cars without the coordinator. When the coordinator is installed, there is a slightly different cable attaching arrangement. In that case the mechanical cable from switch operates the coordinator assy instead of slide valve so the entire coordinator slides in its bracket when motor is manually turned on. The switch still has control and coordinator is along for the ride but does nothing except be the physical connection to the slide valve. When the washer wants control, it applies vacuum to the coordinator. That extends a small wire to operate the slide valve. As the air bleed controls the return, the spring inside the coordinator pulls the slide valve back to the off position. The way the mechanical cable from the switch is installed any interference with coordinator is prevented because cable does not directly operate the slide valve - other than the tip does push against slide valve to move the coordinator and valve but is not connected to it.

I do have photos of the motor with and without coordinator hookup if you want to see them.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 14:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
thanks. I am getting the big picture from all the info. I believe the weak wiper issue I had and some others is due to the extra valve and "cup" assy in the lid because as I recall 3 or 4 yrs ago when my friend gave me his old vacuum wiper motor and I swapped it in the wipers worked very strong at all speeds but do not park. at that time I tried to swap the paddle assy with the good seal to the packard motor and it still needed help to move at all. so I have been running his since but I had to plug some hoses and deal with the non factory look. The car is driven so I required the function rather the authenticity. As for the coordinator, the info I got was quoted from a january 1956 US pattent document. I can go thru my browser hist if you would like this info. The adj screw on the coordinator is to adj how many sweeps the wipers make after the washer is turned off.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 17:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is a 56 patent would be curious if the the silicone gel coordinator is same item. IIRC, the setup Packard used was a GM option before Packard started using it in 54. I think some GM models had it sometime in 52 or so.

On the no park, make sure the cable is adjusted and nothing is preventing the slide valve from going all the way to the extreme off or drivers side position. If it misses it by even a little bit the port for the park will not be active.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 17:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
here it is. The sealed chamber is filled with silicone fluid which flows from the head end of the plunger to the rod end thereof when 'the solenoid coil is energized to effect movement of the plunger in one direction. The return spring moves the plunger in the opposite direction after deenergization of the solenoid, and at this time, the ball type check valve... ehttp://www.google.com/patents/US2886720ngages

Posted on: 2014/6/12 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Coordinator for windshield washer and wipers
US 2886720 A

if the link is not working google search this

Posted on: 2014/6/12 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
patent request was 55. paper was dated 1 56 not granted till 59 lol. technology obsolete. the no park is due to a earty wpr motor. base model. not sure what its out of

Posted on: 2014/6/12 18:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved