Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

HH56, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

COIL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
If I were to go into the local auto parts store and ask for a coil for my 56 Clipper what would I ask for? Is there a modern day match of some sort?

Posted on: 2014/6/6 6:27
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: COIL
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What ever you buy check the small wire posts for size so that u won' t have to change wire terminals on the car.
Check the x-ref in this website. Most likely ask for a coil for something like a 56 thru 72 ford id autolite or 55 thru 73 chevy if Delco. It all depends how far back the stores book go.
Make sure it is a NONresistor coil.

Other than small terminal configuration which is conspicuous upon visual inspection and resistor v non resistor coil then a 12v coil is a 12v coil for the 1955 thru 1972'ish US car market.
Of course someone will try argue with that. Ok. Bring it on.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 8:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Be sure to take the old coil along to match up for size and similarity. We are now dealing with AFTERMARKET parts that may have either significant or insignificant variations from OEM or even aftermatket of 50 years ago or even just 5 years ago.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 8:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let me put it this way:
I would ask for chev 55 thru 65 or may be 73 depending on how far back their book goes. Why??? Because EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THAT IS AND EBERYONE HAS ONE RIGHT THER ON THE SHELF RIGHT NOW!!!!!
Ask for ford or mopar and most likely you WILL WAIT FOR IT TO BE ORDERED from a warehouse and probably pay at least 50 % more for it.
Now that i drawn everyone a picture i hope i don't have to paint a Rembrandt.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
NAPA/Echlin replacement coils:

IC-12 for Delco systems
IC-15 for Autolite systems

Standard Ignition replacement coil:

UC-12X

NAPA appears to recognize a difference between the two systems but Standard's UC-12X for Delco & Autolite is a "universal" 12-volt coil for external ballast resistor applications.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 9:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved