Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Alternator mount for my 53 packard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
My 53 clipper (327) has a 12volt alternator and as of recently the mount that was on it has broken. I've been to all the chain auto parts stores and all they have are the universcal 14 inch alternator mount which is too long to bolt up and is too straight. Can someone who has swicthed to 12v give me a suggestion of what might work. and if you have pictures that would help too. THANKS

Posted on: 2008/8/28 12:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Alternator mount for my 53 packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out page 2 (near the bottom of page) of Big Kev's project blog for his solution and then there's this.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/Alternator_brackets_1.htm

Posted on: 2008/8/28 13:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I started out with that "Universal" bracket, put I found while it works, it had two problems. First it allowed two points of pivot. One: were the Uni-Bracket connects to the old generator bracket, and another where it attached to the Alternator itself. Two: it spaces the Alternator too far out, and you have to run a longer belt.

So what I did was remove the generator bracket, and bought some 12 gauge angle iron. I drilled slots on the bottom portion of the angle iron to allow it to mount where the generator bracket attached to the engine block. The slots allow a forward and back adjustment to align the alternator pully with the fan/crank pulleys. Then I took the elbow brackets from the Univeral bracket, and bolted those to the other portion of the angle iron bracket. This allowed the alternator to sit almost in the exact same position as the generator originally was, and use the standard belt size. Also now the bracket only has one point of pivot, and the slots in the angle bracket allow for easy pulley alignment, instead of trying to use washers like you have to with the Uni-bracket. Also I was able to reuse the top Packard generator bracket with no modifications.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.37 KB)
1_48b6f3cf3b04d.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (21.09 KB)
1_48b6f50b33e8d.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (24.34 KB)
1_48b6f5149af9f.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2008/8/28 13:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
Thanks but when i said mount i was talking about something like this.........

Attach file:

jpg  (25.58 KB)
908_48b6fea0dd77d.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2008/8/28 14:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's called the generator adjusting strap, part #395585 and was the same on all but 2 cars from 48-54. Don't know if the original was used on your alternator conversion but it should be readily available from several of the vendors we gave you yesterday. Some aftermarket varieties are shown on page 2 of the alternatorparts link for universal brackets. They call them tension extension brackets.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
It's been a long time since i got to talk to you at length big kev, and after seeing this post i think i need to do some catch'n up!

Posted on: 2009/3/9 19:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved