Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rust Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I've got the cancer in the floors where the body mounts to the frame. Those depressions, like little cups made especially to hold dirt and moisture, seem like someone designed them to rot out.

The sheet metal floor isn't the problem that I have, that's easy enough to patch or replace. The big problem is that the rust has eaten its way through the floor braces underneath the floor. From the photos I removed some of the floor to take a closer look at the brace. The pictures don't do the damage justice and this one, sadly, is probably the best looking one out of the six locations.

What's the best plan of action here? Has anyone here repaired or replaced these with out taking the body off of the frame? I REALLY don't want to take the body off the frame.

I was thinking that I would have to jack the body up, and then cut out the floor brace section. Do the repairs to it and then weld it back in place and plug weld the floor back on. Am I on the right track? This is my first real restoration and my true goals for this car are Safety and Reliability (in that order) with originality and aesthetics somewhere on the distant horizon.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.68 KB)
550_48d327cca6bbf.jpg 600X398 px

jpg  (32.10 KB)
550_48d327df70780.jpg 600X398 px

jpg  (15.52 KB)
550_48d32a2509caa.jpg 600X398 px

Posted on: 2008/9/18 23:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Rust Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Keegan,

Here is a link to the best $50 I have spent in driving a "rollin' restoration" vehicle.

The Collector Car Restoration Videos

http://www.carestoration.com/

These two guys are brothers who have restored many, many classic cars. They share their techniques on everything. They get a body off the frame using only a floor jack. Amazing to watch, yet so simple. They built their own 'body dolly' for storing, moving, and rolling a body around for repairs. These guys are amazing. And they did it on the cheap by finding creative ways to save money while doing quality restorations.

As deep as you are going into this Packard, you would get even more out of this set of tapes than I have. You seem to have the shop space to do what you need to.

These DVDs could help you save enough money to have a Packard worthy of driving your kids to college in in the future. (I sound like a salesman, but I'm just a satisfied DVD buyer).

Also, consider Minnesota Packard Club's Technical Workshop on the first Saturday in November. It is always in Montgomery, MN south of you about 60 miles(?). I am going for the second year. Mike Dubrinski was there last year. He parts out 55 and 56 Packards for a LIVING!

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/minnesotapackards/events.html

[Saturday, November 1 - 8:30 A.M. - Technical Seminar and Packard Ladies Day - Meet at Earl and Jean Sejrup's home and shop in Montgomery, Minnesota.]

Maybe you already know about this stuff. If not, you would enjoy both the videos and the Club.

Keep up the good work.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/20 16:46
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mike Dubrinski was there last year. He parts out 55 and 56 Packards for a LIVING!

Dulinski, not Dubrinski. And a very nice gentleman to do business with, I might add.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:

41ParPack wrote:
Keegan,

Here is a link to the best $50 I have spent in driving a "rollin' restoration" vehicle.

The Collector Car Restoration Videos

http://www.carestoration.com/

Also, consider Minnesota Packard Club's Technical Workshop on the first Saturday in November. It is always in Montgomery, MN south of you about 60 miles(?). I am going for the second year. Mike Dubrinski was there last year. He parts out 55 and 56 Packards for a LIVING!

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/minnesotapackards/events.html

[Saturday, November 1 - 8:30 A.M. - Technical Seminar and Packard Ladies Day - Meet at Earl and Jean Sejrup's home and shop in Montgomery, Minnesota.]

Maybe you already know about this stuff. If not, you would enjoy both the videos and the Club.

Keep up the good work.

DanL

Dan, Thanks for the suggested DVD's! I'm always looking for more help, especially the kind I can rewind and watch again.

I didn't know about the Packard Workshop in November. I will really try to make it, but the Clipper may not. Thanks for the encouragement!

Posted on: 2008/9/20 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Yeah, Dulinski!
He has taken so many 55 & 56s apart, he can tell stories for hours about the inconsistencies in models, parts over those last Packard Motor years.

Keegan - Your Clipper is one of the last, mine is one of the first. I don't know if mine will make it to Twin Cites, either. It is a 600 mile plus weekend for me. I have distributor problems to be worked on before I can even attempt the trip. I have parts to order from Max Merrit on Monday and a mechanic lined up to work on it after I get parts.

The videos also show a lot of metal work to make replacement panels. I couldn't believe what the brothers (Ray and Fred Veegedes) with a torch and hammer, heating, shrinking and bending new metal panel pieces.

Their website says: "Fred and Ray Vagedes have over 20 years of professional restoration experience. As the former owners of "The Antique Auto Shop" in Elsmere, Kentucky, they have restored too many collector cars to count, many of which became national first place trophy winners."

You know the rest. Welcome aboard.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/20 22:48
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Does Dulinski have a web site he sells the parts from? Where is he located? It's nice to know where to look for those hard to find parts.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Mike Dilinski is in Duluth area.
5590 Howard Gnesen Road
Duluth, MN 55803
(212) 721-4631
email at:
mnpacsler@aol.com <mnpacsler@aol.com>

I got this out of my current MN Packard Club Newsletter.
It also happens to have my Clipper 'Jack' featured on the front page. That article alone is worth the price of Club membership (I should know, I wrote it!!!)
This link has a story about last years Tech Workshop (It is below the story of Earl Sejrup's 37 Packard restoration project.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/minnesotapackards/newsletter.html

DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/21 1:20
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Keegan

I have strayed from 'rust repair.'

BigKev did a product review about 4 months ago in this website but I can't find the link to give you to find it.

Check out BigKev's Project Blog. His Packard and progress will look familiar. There are also many other Projects on 55-56 models that will be helpful.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=57&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/21 1:52
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Keegan,
More on Rust from PInfo website:

Big Kev responded as follows:
Posted on: Today 3:25:13
Quote:
The link for the Evapo-Rust review is in the How-To section of the Articles area. Actually that review was done 5/07. So almost 16 months ago!

Still that Evapo-Rust is great stuff. I have found it a few times at Harbor Freight. It works great on parts that you cant disassemble because if does react to anything but the rust, and it's non-toxic. I derusted my breakdrums with it. You can reuse and reuse it until it turns jet black and stops working.

Posted on: Today 3:25:13
Product Review - Evapo-Rust

The article came up in pieces on my browser, but it is all there complete with experiement pictures.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/9/21 9:50
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think that article may have got damaged in the export/import from the other Server. I will have to go look at my backup and see if I can restore the original. All the pics are there, and those really tell the story.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 11:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved