Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 225

BigKev, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Adjusting Carburetor on 37 six
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I'm about to the point where I will be adjusting the carb on my 37 115 C. I know there are many in the Packard hobby that probably have some handy points about adjusting fthe carburetor or the first time. Any advice will be appreciated. My car has a carter carburetor, looks pretty simple but I'm not a master at carburetors. Thank you

Posted on: 2014/12/23 15:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Adjusting Carburetor on 37 six
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Are you talking about all the adjustments needed during an overhaul or setting the choke and idle speed. Never had one of these apart so can't comment on the overhaul adjustments.

Here is how I set the engine idle speed.

Automatic Choke - I set the automatic choke at room temp before installing on the engine. I like the choke plate to be fully closed, but just there and not over tightened. This, and the choke unloading adjustment, may be covered in the overhaul instructions.

Idle Mixture - I first set the idle mixture jet to be 1 1/2 turns open. Turn in the jet to where it just bottoms out, be careful to not over tighten, the back it out 1 1/2 turns.

Idle Speed - With the carburetor still off of the car and the choke plate fully open screw in the idle speed adjustment screw until it contacts the stop, then give it another one-half turn. This should be enough to keep the engine running until you can make the hot adjustments after the engine has warmed up.

Hot Idle Adjustment - with the engine running and at operating temperature adjust the idle speed to specified RPM, then screw in idle mixture jet until engine starts to lose RPMs, then screw out idle jet about one-half turn or until engine smooths out. You may need to to back and forth between speed and idle to get the final adjustment. Some recommend using a vacuum gauge to set the idle, adjusting to get the highest reading.

I hope this helps.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/24 11:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you very much JR for your advice, much appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/12/24 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Corsaseven,
I have a 39 Six and am curious; does your car have the original Chandler Grove, or an aftermarket or later Carter or Stromberg?

Mine was also supposed to be CG, but know Packard changed to Stromberg and also had Carter as an aftermarket item beginning in 1940. An old timer friend, who has since passed, was a mechanic on such cars back in the day and was not a big fan of the CG carbs.

Pat

Posted on: 2015/1/16 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hello,
My 37 has a carter carb. When I purchased the car back in 1996 has had the same carb all along since then.

Posted on: 2015/1/16 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
I expect then that yours is either a Carter WA1 530S or 477S, which are very similar, reliable, were widely used by many car makes and have parts available if you need them.

I agree with JW's recommendation in post #2.

Auto choke: In case you need the info, to adjust the choke, loosen the three small screws holding the "Carter Climate Control" housing (black circular plastic cover that is concentric with the choke shaft) and adjust until you reach the 'just closed at room temp' position, then tighten the screws.

By the way, adjusting the carb should follow confirmation that you have good plugs, wires, and timing.

Pat

Posted on: 2015/1/19 12:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved