Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 176

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Diesel Powered Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I visited a packard owner recently that converted his 37 120 touring sedan to diesel. 5.9 liter Cummings diesel, doing 80 on the highway easy & 33 mpg according to the owner. I think if you have to choose for an alternative engine I think this is much better than a SBC!

Attach file:

jpg  (96.40 KB)
5061_54fc638e92eb1.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (84.39 KB)
5061_54fc63a029290.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2015/3/8 9:58
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: Diesel Powered Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have a TDI VW Beetle and just love the torque that little turbo charged engine puts out. Hills do not exist. Also, the mileage is fantastic. I got over 51 mpg on a recent drive to Dallas. I can just imagine what that 120 must be like.

Has anyone tried using LPG in their Packard? It seems like this would be a good way to go for clean burning and eliminating vapor lock. Refueling should not be a big problem as these cars are mostly driven little and on short trips. The conversion would have some costs, but no hassle after it is done. Just curious.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/8 12:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Another thing he did was getting rid of the roof insert. A 92 cadillac coupe Deville fits exactly in there. I didn't take a picture of it but you couldn't see the seem at all.

Posted on: 2015/3/8 12:36

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Noticed the rear wheels look different from stock. He must have transplanted the entire drive train. That would help to explain the 80 mph cruising speed.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/8 12:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Ford Explorer rear end & axle.

Posted on: 2015/3/8 13:40

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
A diesel in a Packard would make a sweet cruiser, especially a 24v Cummins with common rail injection so it is quiet. Well muffled, they are very smooth and look much more appropriate than a OHV V8 imo. Neat car

Posted on: 2015/3/9 7:33
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anyone have a photo to post of the early 30s(?) Auburn that was factory-fitted with a diesel (also a Cummins as I recall) and then driven cross-country as an engineering test bed by Auburn? I've read the story a few times some years back but can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 8:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post # 3 above:

" 92 cadillac coupe Deville fits
exactly in there."

Ok. A 92 Coupe Deville roof or hood or deck lid or what???

Posted on: 2015/3/9 8:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It better have some EXPENSIVE filters (no less than 2 such filters) and an immaculate fuel tank.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 9:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Sorry, JW, that is an early 12V Rattler. Still, a really neat installation. I've always wondered about putting a 4BTA into a 37, but even a 4 is a heavy monster. I will hope to see this car out on the road to see what the front suspension is....along with the sound.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 10:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved