Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel pump diaphragm
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dennis Nielsen
See User information
Hello All, I have spent the past year building a new 112 square meter workshop/showroom, so work on my 1938 120 has been on the back burner. On moving the car into it there was a catastrophic leak from the fuel pump. This was caused by the destruction of the diaphragm by the alcohol content of our petrol.
My experience of fuel diaphragms is that they are made of, usually. 3 separate layers of material approx 0.3 mm thick. To date I have not been able to source,locally, this thickness of material, the thinness being 1.5 mm. My question is why are diaphragms made with 3 layers and not 1? Is it perhaps a flexibility matter?
I know that I can source the thin material from overseas, but because of the weakness of our currency the price plus courier fees makes this simple job a very expensive one!!
If anyone can supply an answer to this, I will much appreciate it.
Regards,
Dennis.

Posted on: 2015/3/16 6:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel pump diaphragm
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Much as I'm a fan of "do it yourself", my advice would be to order the correct fuel pump repair kit. The diaphragm flexes millions(?) of times in it's life span, and to me the risk of using something without that kind of known durability, or something incompatible with ethanol, is just too great to risk being left on the roadside. I haven't priced just the fuel pump section rebuild kit in a while, I'd guess it's about $45.

Posted on: 2015/3/16 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
All the rebuild kits with the neoprene diaphragms that Ive seen run about $80 ( Ebay and others)

Posted on: 2015/3/16 12:26
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dennis Nielsen
See User information
Hello, Thanks for the replies. I have now got material which is nylon reinforced Nitrile rubber which is proof against alcohol/petrol mixes. As to getting stuck along the road,I have made provision for that eventuality by installing an electric pump as a stand-by.
To change the subject,in South Africa not being spoiled for choice, we are more inclined to go it alone and repair things ourselves. Perhaps it is the pioneering spirit.There is a term in Afrikaans for this---'n boer maak 'n plan. loosely translated this is, a farmer makes a plan.
Regards.

Posted on: 2015/4/5 4:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved