Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

thermostats for 54 Patty
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Ok guys, need to know a little info. I've seen on the internet you can buy a thermostat housing, gasket, and thermostat for $125. Now, they show a normal looking, present day thermostat. I guess what I'm asking is, does this housing have different inners to hold the normal looking thermostat, or are they just trying to take your money? I have seen on Max Merrit where you can buy either the present day looking thermostat or the bellows looking thermostat. Present day says it is low temp, bellows type says it is standard temp. Can you use either type thermostat in the original housing with the wire retainer?? Thanks, Brian.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 19:49
 Top  Print   

Re: thermostats for 54 Patty
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That total does seem a bit steep but maybe convenience is part of it. I believe but not 100% sure that company offering the item is affiliated with Kanter -- or at least they offer a lot of the same items at roughly the same prices. No idea what the housing might be -- maybe NOS or a brass or bronze repro or maybe they did one in steel and the price reflects the repro costs. Most of the original steel housings were somewhat thin and rusted fairly easily so are getting hard to find in good condition.

SoCal region of PI projects page show a bronze repro housing for $70 and another 4 or 5 for the retainer wire. If they still have them that would seem like a better deal since you can pick up a thermostat and gasket at Napa for maybe $10-15 or so.

Not sure about the fit but I would wonder if the bellows type thermostat would be the best choice on a 54 because of the relatively high pressure cap used. Whether it is a real concern I don't know, but there was one of those Model Garage stories where an overheating problem was supposedly caused by a bellows type thermostat that couldn't open. Gist of the story was the thermostat was used in a car that normally had a low pressure cap but the owner had replaced the original pressure rating with a cap of much higher rating and the increased pressure kept the bellows from operating. The cars where Packard typically used the bellows type had a 7 psi max cap so logically it makes sense because the bellows has to expand to open the thermostat. Increased pressure could conceivably keep it from expanding but no idea what the thermostat is capable of.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
If you can get a housing for $70 go for it, seems like the PI stuff was discontinued when I was last looking for it. My original housing is pretty thin but I brazed the rust holes in the hose sealing area and it'll do for now. I bought a retaining ring from Kanter and got a radiator cap from the shop that tested my radiator, they scoffed at my suggestion that the Packards could take up to a 13 lb cap and said "this is what you want", and gave me a 4 lb cap! We'll see what happens when I finally get driving, probably have to bump it up to a 7 lb cap. I bought a thermostat from Rock Auto, normal modern capsule type and the retaining ring works just fine.

Posted on: 2015/3/23 0:07
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good quality capsule-type thermostats will typically outlast the bellow type by a considerable margin. Copper alloys "work-harden" with constant motion and the usual failure mode of a bellows-type is that they develop a crack on the edge of a bellow section. Go for a capsule type and if the proper diameter the ring clip will retain it.

Posted on: 2015/3/23 9:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can get a housing for $70 go for it, seems like the PI stuff was discontinued when I was last looking for it.

That really wouldn't surprise me because that projects page hasn't seemed to change for a long time. The housings may be completely gone or maybe waiting for a new batch. SoCal and SD regions usually have a projects table at the PI meet. Did anyone happen to see if they were well populated or if either of the housings were shown or offered?

Posted on: 2015/3/23 9:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved