Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater Core Box Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I cannot seem to find any literature on the removal of the heater core so any help would be appreciated.

I removed all 8 of the little screws that hold the from half of the box on and I also removed the hoses.

I cannot seem to find out how to remove the front of the box as it seems it is stuck on.

Is there any trick???

Also...Does anyone know a source for the water spigot that is installed on the top of the engine head?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/5/11 16:43
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater Core Box Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe you will have more sheet metal screws facing the firewall -- at least the later models do and if the heater has never been off before and the screws left out those are probably what is holding the top on. If that is the case you will have to remove the entire heater assy from the firewall to gain access to those screws. If you can't see any more screws, the two halves are sometimes tite or have some sealant between the core and covers that may have gotten gummy and are holding things together. The blower attachment on the bottom may also have a screw or flange which is preventing the separation.

If you do have to remove it, the entire assy is held by 4 studs thru the firewall with nuts on the passenger side. That arrangement sandwiches the firewall between the heater and the air distribution plenum. The nuts are inside the plenum and are accessed by removing the plenum outer cover. The cover may be held by bent over tabs or screws. There may also be a sheetmetal screw thru a bracket on the engine side as well as another attaching the blower motor ground wire. Once the fresh air supply hose is off, wires and water hoses disconnected and the studs free, the entire heater and blower assy should lift out as a unit. Check for any bowden cables attached. I don't think there are any to the heater directly but If yours is an early car the thermostat sensing capillary may be inside the plenum so watch for that.

You might check some of the Chevy truck vendors for an original looking water valve. Also some of the plumbing supply houses. You need 3/8 pipe to 5/8 hose. If you cannot find one that looks similar to the original thru one of those vendors then universals are available thru most parts stores. The universals are shorter than the original so you may also need to get a male to female 3/8 pipe extension or adapter to raise the valve up so hoses clear the manifold a bit better.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 17:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
you might check restoration supply for the valve

Posted on: 2015/5/11 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thank you very much for the detailed instructions/advice.

This forum is really a great asset!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/5/17 11:24
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved