Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 82

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

leaf Spring Bushings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
I am looking for leaf spring bushing dimensions for my '41 120.

Looking in the parts book, I see P/N 347126 listed for the 1801 & 1901, but it only shows 1-1/8" OD Body & 1-1/4" OD Collar.

Looking at the Steele web site, their dimensions seem to be incomplete as well, and slightly different than those listed in the manual. Steele does say on their web page for these bushings that they are a replacement for the factory P/N.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Does anyone know the complete dimensions?

I'm interested in ordering polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension, or another reputable vendor if someone has a better recommendation.

Thanks,
Chad

Posted on: 2015/8/6 11:00
 Top  Print   

Re: leaf Spring Bushings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't help on the dimension but there was a discussion about some different Steele suspension bushings a while back. That discussion centered on those particular bushings being apparently made of a softer rubber than Packard used with the result being they did not hold up well.

I can't say if the same holds true for the leaf spring bushings -- and they are a different application -- but you might also inquire with Kanter. He lists a bushing kit for the 120 and probably has individuals as well. Only reason I suggest checking is another member did some comparison testing of the ones in question. Kanters repro bushings for the other application were found to be almost identical in hardness to a NOS factory item while the Steele version was not.. Longevity was a concern with the ones in question but maybe the spring application and mounting is not as much an issue.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 11:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Polyurethane may well outlast repro rubber though the original rubber bushings had very a long service life. Almost certainly for leaf spring bushings poly will change the ride characteristics, and if noticeable probably not for the better (harsher ride).

Posted on: 2015/8/6 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
The thing that started me on this is that up until a couple of days ago I didn't know that the shackles are mounted incorrectly, such that the shackles and springs are hung below the J bracket, instead of the shackles being oriented upward, so the spring eye is within the curve of J.

Since I need to service the assembly to correct the mis-mounted shackles it is a good time to service the bushings.

Poly was my first choice, mostly for a long service life, but as O_D points out, the originals were rubber, and had a long life, no reason to suspect that new rubber spring shackle bushings shouldn't have a good service life as well.

Still curious if anyone can provide the correct and complete dimensions for the bushings.

Thanks,
Chad

Posted on: 2015/8/6 19:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Arthur C, 1602-1191
See User information
I've tried polyurethane bushings for steering box mounts in a Triumph 2.5 PI car; it went from velvety but soft to feeling like a wooden block in my hands. Removed them promptly and replaced with rubber as per original design. Velvety but firm response resulted. I suggest original design as suggested by Owen is much better.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Just wondering. These bushings are very simple. If you had access to a lathe, and perhaps a mill, you could make the molds, out of aluminum, poly? Then use Flexane, with the correct amount of Flexadd, for just a but harder? But might not hold up either?

Posted on: 2015/8/7 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Thanks for everyone' feedback.

I wound up ordering them from Kanter, as the set is nearly half the price of the ones from Steele.

I was really hoping that someone could provide the dimensions because NAPA has many options listed, and with a little searching an acceptable alternative could have been found. This would have been a pretty good savings of around another 30%.

Thanks,
Chad

Posted on: 2015/8/7 14:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved