Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

su8overdrive, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

transmission number
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I have a standard transmission with number 395280 on it. I can't find a date on it. Is there a way to figure out what year it is?

Posted on: 2015/8/22 9:54
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: transmission number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Usually numbers cast on iron seem to be casting numbers rather than part numbers but If that is an actual part number 395280 crosses to a "Case-Transmission". The case was for non overdrive transmissions and used on "All 22nd; 2301-02-13-32" models so that would put the years from 48 to 50.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 10:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Thanks Howard. Did those transmissions come as floor shift and column shift?

Posted on: 2015/8/23 8:43

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The last floor-mounted shifter was 1939 when column shift was an option.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 8:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
This transmission is a floor shift. Wondering what I'm having.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 11:06

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The only place the 395280 shows up is in the 48-54 parts book so no help or sign in earlier books that case was original to other years.

I am wondering how much difference there actually is in trans cases over the years. There are several on the forum running transmissions with the 22nd or 23rd R11 ODs on their prewar cars so we know the later cases bolt up to the earlier bellhousing. I would expect the same from the non OD cases.

I believe there may be mounting spots for some option items on earlier cases not there on later cases and I believe there is another difference just recently pointed out with the number and location of holes for cross member mounts. Believe it was two per side on the pre 48 transmissions to four on the 48-50 units. Perhaps that is the main difference with the cases.

Since many of the internal parts are the same pre and postwar then if the prewar covers will also bolt on perhaps someone needed a new box for his prewar car and swapped the older cover and cane shift into a later unit. Maybe the trans was rebuilt by a dealer and the later cases were the approved factory substitute.

Anyone know how far back into the 30s later transmissions will bolt on?

Posted on: 2015/8/23 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Well here she is. I helped to get her out today after we found metal pieces in the bottom after draining the oil. Next week a good transmission mechanic (60+ yrs experience) will open her up. Maybe someone can figure out what transmission this is now that she's out.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.55 KB)
5061_55fe07218bd0a.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (82.04 KB)
5061_55fe073231dcf.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (123.15 KB)
5061_55fe0744da609.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2015/9/19 20:09

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is a 22-23d series unit as evidenced by the fact that it has a slip joint at the rear. On top is a thick non-Packard adapter plate topped with a shifter that might be Packard, or might not. Probably not, as earlier cane shift tops will bolt directly on to trannies up to 54 if you rework the forks.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 6:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I also have this transmission in the spare part bin. I think it's from a 1937 120:

Attach file:

jpg  (81.45 KB)
5061_560973955b099.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (96.43 KB)
5061_560973a78a21c.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (112.83 KB)
5061_560973b3d2362.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2015/9/28 12:07

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
On the 22-23 series transmission that we took out the synchro rings have a lot of play. I found another 22-23 series transmission and it has the same issue. According to my mechanic it needs new synchro rings. Are they available or can they be fixed or adjusted?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 19:47

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved