Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

hood cowel
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
Hello all , happy holidays.

I have a loose left side of my cowl door on the hood of my 1940 110, can anyone tell me how to fix this problem.
Thanks Vin

Posted on: 2015/12/20 17:57
 Top  Print   

Re: hood cowel
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
are you talking about the cowl vent (which is not part of the hood) or something else? The cowl vent connects to a linkage under the dash in a painful access area

Posted on: 2015/12/21 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your question isn't quite clear enough to speculate on causes. What exactly is loose? Photos help.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 11:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
I am sorry I was not clear enough. I hope I am calling it by the right name. The top of the hood has a door for a vent operated by the handle under the dash. Lately the door started to hang up when I pushed the handle to open the vent. When I did open it the drivers side of the vent was very loose and the passenger side would stick, if I drove the car with it opened it started to rattle. I looked under the vent door and there is a screen with rubber on the edges covering the opening so I could not see what was the problem. I wanted to contact the info site before I started to take things apart. Thanks for any assist. Vin

Posted on: 2015/12/21 12:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others can better say exactly how similar the Clipper and conventional body cowl vents were in construction. I can't tell if there might be a piano hinge affair from the parts book illustration or just two pieces of metal joined together as the Clippers used but are hidden from view.

If they are similar, one place I would seriously check carefully is the actual hinges. This photo is of the Clipper version and the movable portion of hinges are the objects at the end of arrows in the circles.

Both sides of the hinges were rusted solid on my car. In my case the door wouldn't open at all but if yours is only rusted on one side, possibly the stationary hinge support which I believe is only spot welded could have torn away from the sheet metal on the rusted side. If it did, that would explain the looseness and rattling. If the support is OK then check the pin holding the two halves together.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.67 KB)
209_5678462973241.jpg 1280X611 px

jpg  (109.78 KB)
209_56784636d9e19.jpg 1280X898 px

Posted on: 2015/12/21 13:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
Thanks, now I have a place to start looking. Vin

Posted on: 2015/12/22 8:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved