Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Paint experts help needed!!!!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
I have about wore this old computer out trying to find the paint code for Serpentine green on my 1949 series 22. I have found a duco number but DuPont cannot cross it. Would anyone happen to have a paint code for one of the majors, PPG, Dupont, Sherman Williams etc., for the serpentine green?

All help greatly appreciated.

Dave Beck

Posted on: 2016/2/9 19:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Paint experts help needed!!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Curious as to the opinion of the assembled masses for a modern match to 1947 Cavalier Maroon Metallic. I'd like to see and verify the match in person. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/2/9 19:30
Dan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Try going to TCP Gobal to look at their paints - click on the Auto Paint Restoration under "Paints" and you can see a color chip page. They supposedly can match any older paint color you want, using lacquer, enamel or the modern stuff. Just be aware that they cannot ship lacquer to CA.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com

Here is the page for the 47 colorshttp://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1947-Packard-pg01.jpg

I just ordered some acrylic lacquer for my car - just be aware that the word "metallic" or "poly" meaning the same thing adds about 40 bucks a gallon. I'll tell you next month how closely the paint matches.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
You can look at the paint chips in this library
http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1949-1951_Ditzler.pdf

Ditzier became a division to PPG. PPG has all the formulas to convert the original Ditzier to modern coatings. I chose their EnviroBase for the color layer because it is water soluble, because it doesn't put a dent in the ozone layer and because I'm from Oregon. We don't shoot lacquer here. Lacquer is mostly carrier and not color. That's why you have to paint layer on layer on layer of it.

At the bottom of the Auto refinishing area of the PPG website there is a contact link so you can send the color lab an email. They are really great. You give them the Ditzier info for the color you want and tell them the place where you're having the car painted. They communicate with the person buying the paint.

It is as sure a way as possible to get the color right using a modern "paint," automotive finish.

I have 1940 Dupont colors and will scan and send to Big Kev to add to the paint chip library.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 1:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Not to high jack this topic, but I'm looking for the paint code for Caribbean blue for a 16th series super 8 (1938).

Posted on: 2016/2/10 8:15
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
DuPont Duco 202-32203.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
I was pretty anal about my paint. My car had original paint on it when I purchased it, so I had a good idea of the original color. TCP Global was the only one to come close, and they nailed it. All others, to me, were pretty far off, and I tried most everywhere and calling corporate numbers for help.

Rich

Posted on: 2016/2/10 10:30
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
Well I contacted TCP and think that is the route I am going to go. Next question? what type of paint do you guys recommend. I am leaning toward getting the urethane single stage paint as I have used that before, paints well, and can wet sand and buff easily. I have also considered the base coat clear coat route.....but just not sure yet.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 18:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I've ordered the Arctic Blue Poly from TCP Global in acrylic lacquer for my 39. I've started working on the body, and hope to paint the car early this spring. I chose the lacquer as it is easier for an amateur to use, and is more forgiving. Not to mention easier to touch up. I had my 51 painted in modern base/clear coat a few years back. A small dent (silver dollar size) on the front fender required repainting the entire fender - something not necessary with lacquer.

The only problem is the fact that you can't buy the stuff in CA. Don't know about other states.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 17:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm sure you'll not regret selecting acrylic lacquer, take your time and you should get a terrific paint job - I'll be in line with others here to see the end result.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 18:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved