Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 167

MVS, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

VACUME OPERATED CONVERTIBLE FOR A 1940 110
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
TO ALL, I AM LOOKING FOR INFO ON REBUILDING THE VACUME OPERATED SYSTEM ON MY 1940 MODEL 110. it STILL WORKS BUT IS GETTING SLOWER ALL OF THE TIME. I HAD CHANGED SOME OF THE OLD HOSES AND PUT LIGHT OIL DOWN THE SHAFT TO THE CANNISTERS. Are THERE ANY BULLETINS OR OWNERS THAT HAVE WORKED ON THESE SYSTEMS. Looking FOR AMY HELP THAT I CAN FIND. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KEEP THIS SYSTEM WORKING ON MY CAR. thanks'. VIN

Posted on: 2016/2/29 8:35
 Top  Print   

Re: VACUME OPERATED CONVERTIBLE FOR A 1940 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Vinnie; I think the seals and shafts in the canisters are the problem if you have replaced all the rubber hoses. I had to have new shafts made for my 42 and replace the seals. Almost works to fast. Also you should use Neatsfoot oil on seals in canisters.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 10:13

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also you should use netsfoot (sp) oil on seals in canisters.

Neatsfoot oil if the seals are leather, or a quality vacuum oil if they are not.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks O-D; My leather seals were in good shape. Vinnie you might check ebay 201529067053.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 10:31

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
thanks, where did you get the seals? Did you have to do anything to the push pull vacuum switch under the dash? Vin

Posted on: 2016/2/29 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Vinnie; My leather seal were usable, I had new shafts machined and took the old seals and new shafts to motion industries- they just measured and supplied seals. I disassembled the vacuum switch and cleaned it and made sure to worked. It is just a sliding valve.
be very careful as it is made from pot metal. The switch body is also used on 40 Fords and some other makes. the mount is different on different years as I know the 40 and 42 are different.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 20:26

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

hughdean
See User information
Dell - Are you familiar with the convertible top balance springs on a 1940 series 120? I bought a 120 convertible and it is missing the balance springs and I have had no luck in locating replacement springs and I have emailed or called every part dealer I can find. If I had the spring length and wire diameter and the diameter of the spring and possibility the coil tension I could have some made. Does anyone have a suggestion. Thanks much for any help. Hugh

Posted on: 2016/3/1 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
hi hughdean; i will be at my toy box tomorrow and will try to remember to get the D and length for you. as far as the tension goes i don't want to take my car apart. You might ask vinnie if he has his car apart will take it apart when he works on the vacuum cylinders.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 21:32

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

hughdean
See User information
Vinnie- There is a guy who advertises for vacuum tanks in the Cormorant. Different item than convertible vacuum actuators but he may have knowledge. Name is David Stewart, Longview, TX (903) 918-3726, dstewart1937@gmail.com. Do you have your top apart? I need measurements for top balance springs that are located in the well above the vacuum actuators. I can't locate the springs at any parts dealer and need to have some made. I need the length, diameter, and the diameter of the spring wire they are made from and tension strength if you can measure. Also what do the end hooks look like and how long is that hook from curve to main body? Can you take a few pictures? I don't even know what they look like. Thanks for any help you can provide I have been looking for these springs for 5 months and am getting desperate. Hugh

Posted on: 2016/3/2 7:57
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

hughdean
See User information
Thanks will do. Hugh

Posted on: 2016/3/2 7:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved