Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

Marty or Marston, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

need some help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Where can i find a drivers door window for a 55 patrician. I am also looking for some new emblems for the body..I just got her home last night..it was a very long drive from NC to South Florida...I am still shocked at how big this car is..

Posted on: 2008/11/9 9:16
 Top  Print   

Re: need some help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on a hopefully trouble free trip home.

Here are a few of the Packard vendors to help with the emblems or other items you might need. The window is just flat glass & may possibly be obtained at a local automotive glass shop if they are equipped & willing to cut to fit. If not, that also is available through several vendors.

Kanter Autohttp://www.kanter.com/
Max Merritthttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/
Tuscon Packardshttp://www.packardpartsonline.com/index.html
Patrician Industrieshttp://stores.ebay.com/packards1 -- direct email packards1@AOL.com
Dwight Heinmullerhttp://packardparts.org/parts.htm

A vendor who has a lot of used 55-6 parts is
Mike Dulinski
5590 Howard Gnesson rd.
Duluth. Minn
phn 218-721-4631

Posted on: 2008/11/9 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The side glass is flat, but to clarify, it was laminated safety glass that was installed at the factory on this car - as opposed to tempered safety glass that was used in later years. I've seen some old cars that appear to have been retrofitted with tempered flat glass.

Posted on: 2008/11/9 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thanks..I noticed that the lamination is coming off on the windshield also..i might need to to the whole car in the tempered glass...Appreciate the links

Posted on: 2008/11/9 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
This fellow might be able to help with glass. ?The Glass Man ? 4512 Missouri Flat Rd ? Placerville, CA 95667 ? phone: (530) 626-6923 ? fax: (530) 642-1634

Have fun with the car. I am sure you will.

Posted on: 2008/11/9 16:13
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The use of laminated safety glass for windshields continues to this day, as a means of occupant protection/retention in the event of collision, and is even mandated by some state safety inspection programs.

BTW, does anyone know if the curved backlights, as installed by the factory, were of tempered glass?

Posted on: 2008/11/9 19:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Brian, I can testify that the backlights were of tempered glass. Mine disintegrated late one Saturday night and the management and I thought it must be fireworks going off in the distance. It was just the karump, karump of the tempered glass as it disintegrated. I walked out into the garage in the morning and was astonished to see the back window still in the car but no one piece as big as my thumbnail. I went to lay my hand on it and could feel it giving way. My son and I taped some plastic inside the car to catch the debris and then I told him to just push on it gently. It caved in and we caught almost all of it and poured it into a disposable bag. Good friend John Lloyd who worked at PPG located one in Columbus Ohio for $400.00. I drove straight out in the pickup and bought it. It is the current backlight in the 400.

Posted on: 2008/11/9 20:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks, Randy. Some 20+ years ago, I'd seen a tired old '55 Pat for sale in a private parking lot, but the back glass lay in little bits and pieces across the package shelf and rear seat. Obviously, that was tempered glass. I've seen others cases like that since, but wasn't sure if it was a factory install.

So, the backlight was tempered glass - all other glass in the car was of the the laminated type.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
well i just ordered all the side glass from the glass man. Thanks again for the help.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 20:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved