Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clipper two tone pattern
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This subject came up a few days ago on a Craigslist car as to whether postwar Clippers were two toned. We have documentation that they were but the question I have is the pattern.

I vaguely remember in one of the books there was mention of pattern changes with series change but can't find the info at the moment. I think it had to do with the trunk lid painted on one series or model but not on others. Does anyone know for sure if there were changes and if so, what the changes were for the different cars.

My question is the hood treatment. Was the two tone down the middle on all or was that one of the changes. Hard to tell in the photos in archive but there appears to be a 42 with the strip and another without. This 46 six brochure illustration shows it but don't have any senior brochures or any 42 factory photos showing the hood well enough to say or compare..

Attach file:

jpg  (55.77 KB)
209_572f835c9e764.jpg 1058X710 px

Posted on: 2016/5/8 13:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Clipper two tone pattern
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Too busy today to dig into it but I'm fairly certain a change was in the rear, breaking the color at the roof crease below the window so the trunk remained lower body color.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 14:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here is a 1942 factory photo that shows the two tone treatment for the roof panel but difficult to see what is done on the center of the hood.

See pages 522-523 of the AQ Packard History book for photos and reference on the two tone variations between 1946 and 1947.
1946 had the sedan trunk lid painted in the upper body color and 1947 reverted to the 1942 treatment of the roof.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.51 KB)
1137_572fe2f55a6d2.jpg 1280X900 px

Posted on: 2016/5/8 20:18
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dwight Lehnhoff
See User information
My '42 was tan with a dark brown top, brown stripe on the hood and brown trunk lid.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 21:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
BDeB, thanks much for the info and more importantly remembering where to find it.

If I have read the caption for the photos correctly and going by the 42 photo you posted, 47 4 door sedans had the two tone curved under the rear window, the lower color was used on the window frames above the belt line and 47 sedans did not have the stipe down the hood. The hood stripe was used on the 46 sedan along with the trunk lid and window frames being top color. The hood stripe and painted trunk lid and window frame pattern was on all two doors in both years. Does that sound correct? Only question still somewhat open is the 42 hood stripe -- 2 doors only or sedans as well.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 9:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is this covered in Bob Neal's book?

Posted on: 2016/5/9 10:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I believe that the 1947's may have still had the upper color on the center of the hood. A darker color similar to the roof is just visible ahead of the hood ornament in the photo of the 1947 version at lower left on page 523 of the AQ book.
Illustrations on pages 495 to 498 of the AQ book clearly show the hood stripe on 4 door models.

In answer to Big Kev, no this is not covered in Bob Neal's book.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 11:33
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dwight Lehnhoff
See User information
My '42 was a 2 door with the stripe on the hood.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 11:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved