Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 clipper custom correct engine block paint (352)
Just popping in
Just popping in

oldschool 55
See User information
I am hoping for a definitive answer to what the correct engine colors are for my 1955 Clipper Custom 5562-8016 with the 352. I've researched quite a bit, but seen conflicting information; some say ivory, some say red, some say turquoise). I ordered turquoise from Hirsch, based on info from their website, but their hard copy catalog says the 352 should be red, and the 320 is turquoise. They also list ivory for '55 Clippers Big Engines only...so, I'm confused.

I'm removing the engine to replace the freeze plugs and figured I would detail the engine compartment while the motor is out, as well as repaint the engine with what I hope will be the correct colors. Valve covers are black, correct?

I contacted Packard International for the judges manual they say they have, but never heard back from them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 21:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 clipper custom correct engine block paint (352)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a 55 tech bulletin that might help.

Attach file:

jpg  (178.39 KB)
209_572ff53e757a1.jpg 1466X1764 px

Posted on: 2016/5/8 21:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I own a '55 Clipper Custom Constellation and its engine block is painted turquoise blue and the valve covers read Clipper. It is odd that the actual color is not better defined in the letter from the factory, since the color blue can differ in a myriad of variations. Luckily I have been assured by an extremely knowledgeable Packard historian that my engine should definitely be turquoise.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 9:48
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

oldschool 55
See User information
Thanks for the information and reassurance. Re: Clipper decal on the valve covers - are the valve covers black?

Posted on: 2016/5/9 10:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Constellation
See User information
My 55 Constellation was that horrible turquoise. it's not anymore the car is going back to the original colors of red/black so you see what happened here already. It's red and black now too.

Attach file:

jpg  (184.91 KB)
123051_573a96d86e2f2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/5/16 22:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On your earlier question re valve cover color. We've learned not to totally trust sales brochures since many were early in the game and some models were shown with features that didn't make the actual car but virtually all of the brochures show the valve covers black with the Clipper decals.

Attach file:

jpg  (286.90 KB)
209_573b203e5e908.jpg 1786X1544 px

Posted on: 2016/5/17 8:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure how far your interest in being correct extends, but the water manifold and pump, generator bracket and cylinder heads should be engine color. Plug wires black with 135? angle terminal ends. The Clipper valve cover decals were reproduced some time back though I can't remember at this point who the provider was.

Posted on: 2016/5/17 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I got my 55 Clipper valve cover adhesive backed stickers (they are not decals) from The Packard Club store.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/5/17 9:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

oldschool 55
See User information
Thanks for the info about other engine components. I really want to return the motor/components to the correct colors and configuration. The motor will be coming out soon so the freeze plugs can be replaced, so I hope to use that as an opportunity to correct as much as I can, including detailing the engine compartment.

Posted on: 2016/5/17 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The PAC store also had the decals for the oil filter, air filter, and washer jar top.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/5/17 10:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved