Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Proper fuel flow
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50Cal
See User information
I am new to my '50 Eight and have no baseline yet to gauge correct fuel flow to the carb. A shed rescue, the entire fuel system needed to be repaired/replaced, tank cleaned and recoated, entire new lines, rebuilt carb and pump,in-line filter. With all work completed the engine seems to be starving for gas when accelerating, under any load, and when 45 mph is reached it balks. The clear in-line filter shows just a a small amount of gas in the filter. I am used to other cars i have had that kept the filter full while running. Is this meager about of fuel in the filter normal for this car or are there other places I should be looking like the carb (Carter 2-barrel with starter)?

Cal

Posted on: 2016/7/2 0:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Proper fuel flow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Most of my inline filters when mounted on the pressure side show a large bubble while running. Mount a tee in the line after the filter and make sure you are getting 3-5 psi while running.

The next two likely culprits are the screen which is under the 3/4" brass cap on the top of the carb, or that the float level is set waaaaay too low. Also make sure your metering rods are hooked up and are moving up and down freely.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 8:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Flow specs for the pump was not provided for all years but for those years Packard did provide a number it was 1 pint delivered in 45 seconds with engine at idle speed.

Some have changed the original gas cap and installed a non vented cap which causes an issue with flow. Packards need the vented type. The short rubber hose making the connection between the metal gas line on frame to the pump is another source of issues. Old hoses can harden and restrict flow and the use of ethanol gas with old rubber components in the hose and pump is another frequent source of problems.

If you have the original ceramic type filter, the element can look clean and air can blow thru but in some cases varnish has coated the internal passages enough that fuel can barely trickle thru.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 8:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50Cal
See User information
Great advice from both party's and have identified two of the issues mentioned - the gas cap is non-vented and the metering rods are not hooked up properly. Will test flow after correcting the first two issues. The filter is a new paper OTC and probably not a fault. Much, much appreciated.

Cal

Posted on: 2016/7/2 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Good replies Ross and HH56. However, I'd like to point out that while the stock fuel system on an S8 was probably adequate back in the day, just with the advent of ethanol (10-15%), it is marginal today. Throw in the factors discussed above and it's obvious that the stock, unrestored fuel system is problematic. At least an electric pusher pump is required to overcome all the factors, given that there are no restrictions in the line.

A V8 is whole 'nother matter, particularly in the good ole summertime.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/7/2 11:08
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50Cal
See User information
Thanks Craig for more info. The fuel line on the S8 was replaced from the tank to the carb so know there are no obstructions in the line and the tank was out and cleaned. I am running 91 non-ethnaol in the car trying to eliminate those problems associated with ethanol. I haven't been able to test the psi out of the pump yet and pending that result will look into an elec pusher as suggested.

Posted on: 2016/7/3 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
50Cal Quote:
(snip) will look into an elec pusher as suggested.

Use a pulse-type electric pump, not a rotary vane-type pump. With the former, gas can be drawn through it when it is off by the mechanical pump in front whereas a rotary vane pump cannot be drawn through. A lot of guys use a pulse type electric pusher pump for start up only or on hot days (prevent vapor lock) and then turn if off otherwise.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/7/3 14:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50Cal
See User information
Great info to know the differences.

Cal

Posted on: 2016/7/3 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
". However, I'd like to point out that while the stock fuel system on an S8 was probably adequate back in the day, just with the advent of ethanol (10-15%), it is marginal today. "

?? I don't understand why a S8 fuel, system is inadequate today and marginal with ethanol. I have numerous S8's and have no problems. My '52 Patrician with 25,000 miles went to the Centennial in Ohio flawlessly and last year to Reading without a skip, clog,starvation or anything bad and it is 100% stock. Our V8's the same.

Posted on: 2016/7/3 23:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Craig lives in a part of the country that is no doubt more challenging in terms of maximum temperatures and perhaps altitudes than northern New Jersey where summer days of 90+?F are uncommon, but in all my years of driving a variety of Packards on tours and otherwise, in spite of E10 gasoline I've never had a problem attributable to the inability of the mechanical fuel pump to properly perform it's job.

Having an electric to prime after periods of storage is a welcome feature.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 8:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved