Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Storing Ultramatic with torque converter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I have a spare Ultramatic with torque converter. Is it okay to store the torque converter on the input shaft of the trans? The converter, as you know, is really heavy and I'm concerned about trans shaft damage.
I appreciate your help.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 13:09
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Storing Ultramatic with torque converter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have spare T-Us. I remove the converter for storage.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 14:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd worry more about the front seal and to a lesser extent converter pump bushing surface getting damaged by the weight rather than the shaft. If you do store separately be sure to protect the input shaft and particularly the polished bushing surfaces on the shaft with grease or something to prevent rust or oxidation from forming and doing any damage.

You could store the converter on the unit and make two or three metal straps to go between the converter to flex plate bolts and some bellhousing mounting holes. Size them so that when installed and snugged down they will tend to lift the converter weight off the shaft and seal. Those will also keep the converter securely attached so you can move the unit around.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 16:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I'd go for storing the converter separately, no worries about damaging the shaft due to the weight, no worries about damaging the seal or bushing, in fat no worries at all. And as for making a strap/straps you can forget about that.

Ever try to move a trans without the converter on it, quite heavy. Ever try to move one WITH the converter on?? Fuggedaboudit.

I vote twice for storing without

Posted on: 2016/7/13 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I haven't read any advice from Packard Service bulletins about storing the Converter separate from the trans. Would be pleased to hear of this advice, even for other automatics. I store mine assembled if I have s/h or reconditioned units which have been removed as a set and I want to be certain that my converters and Trans units are not getting mixed up or contaminated. I have some converters and trans units stored separately as that's how I got them. I am reasonably confident that provided the converter is fully home in the trans, that there is enough bearing and bush connections between the trans and converter to prevent excessive and premanent seal distortion. I also understand that the large bell housing seal which I guess is the one that we are worried about handles exhaust oil only from the converter and has a fair range of movement on the seal lip. I suggest that storage together or apart is a personal preference unless there is a Service Bulletin or Industry best practice on the storage. PT

Posted on: 2016/7/14 1:35
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Service Counselors give mostly service advice, it would be highly unusual for a dealer to have to store a trans and converter long term, they were in the business of fixing them ASAP. I've never seen in a Service Counselor any info on storing individual components such as water pumps, trans, carbs, fuel pumps, carbs etc.

As far as matching converter and trans, they are independent of each other. Adjustments by selective size washers affect only either the trans OR converter, not both. Any same series trans or converter should be work just fine as long as they are good/rebuilt units.

Posted on: 2016/7/14 11:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
If storage together was an issue, I would suggest that the Service Bulletins would have mentioned it. When you bear in mind that the Ultramatic was in service from the 22nd/23rd Series, there would have been spare units at the Australian Dealers for years. I would imagine that trans/converters were shipped assembled, particularly as there were variations in build within the trans and converters themselves throughout the production. I agree that moving them around individually is much easier on our backs but I'm not convinced on a valid reason for separate storage. PT

Posted on: 2016/7/14 17:55
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Parts were sold/shipped by part number, transmisssions had a part #, as did converters. The parts book does not show a part# for an converter/trans combination. As they were not sold as a combination there would be no reason for the factory to give instructions for storage.

Some parts are mated at the factory such as 410845 1948-1954 hydraulic lifter plungers. It consists of a tappet body and a plunger which are fitted to the .0001" thus cannot be sold separately. Some parts like water pumps are sold complete with impeller, seal, clip and hub. Those parts were also sold separately for rebuilding purposes.

Posted on: 2016/7/14 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Pete-

You will have no problem storing them together. As suggested by someone in an earlier post, I secure the converter to the bell housing with "Z" brackets, and I store them and ship them on stands similar to the one pictured. I try to keep at least one of every configuration including J-56's sitting ready to go.

I have sent fully assembled Re-manufactured Ultramatics all around the Globe with a full one year warranty with never a failure or damage to the units.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.14 KB)
17226_578844c358fa1.jpg 400X298 px

Posted on: 2016/7/14 21:05
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved