Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 195

BigKev, David Timberlake, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How To Pull The Engine From A 1953 Packard Clipper Sportster
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
Hi folks,
I need a refresher. It has bee a long tine since I have done this.
I am ready to pull the engine from my Packard. Cand I seperate t he bell h ousing from the engine and the remove t he enjine? Or do I need to pull the transvission with the enjine and then dismatle it.
I have everything removed from the fron of the car and read to get the engine out.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Gary

Posted on: 2016/8/21 23:48
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print   

Re: How To Pull The Engine From A 1953 Packard Clipper Sportster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Gary,

Don't have a Packard of your time, mine is earlier. But did mine by pulling the engine and trans out as a unit. Of course this has limitations in that the lifting equipment in use has to be up to the task. Together the engine and trans are heavy! Will be less if you remove starter, generator, water pump, intake/exhaust manifolds, head, etc. You cannot remove the bellhousing from the engine because, besides the perimeter bolts, there are some bolts only accessible when the flywheel is removed. However, you can unbolt the trans and remove it separately, which will lessen the weight. Plus, when putting it back in, it's a whole lot easier as a unit. Trust this helps.

Posted on: 2016/8/22 2:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: How To Pull The Engine From A 1953 Packard Clipper Sportster
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
Thank you,
I was able to seperate the transmission from the bell housing. The bell housing is bolted from the inside. The engine is seized up.
It came out very easy, especiall that I have all the front end off I am restoring from frame up and hope I live long enough to see it through :)
Again thank you,

Posted on: 2016/8/28 23:53
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved