Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R9 or R11 Overdrive?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Green
See User information
How do I tell which overdrive I have? I need to order a wiring harness. My car is a 48 Custom 8 Club Sedan (2 door). The VIN on the cowl reads 2255-9-2723. Does that mean R9? An old Packard guy I talked to thinks I have an R11. How do I tell for sure?

Posted on: 2008/11/26 21:17
48 Custom
48 Custom Club Sedan
56 Studebaker Golden Hawk
 Top  Print   

Re: R9 or R11 Overdrive?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Scrape off the grease on the o/d unit itself, the model designation is cast into the side of it.

Posted on: 2008/11/26 21:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your car could have either, so another way without climbing under is to locate the OD relay on drivers side of firewall. The R9 has a black can near and similar in shape/size to voltage regulator with 6 wire terminals. The Rll has a smaller silver or natural can, with fuse on outside and 4 wire terminals.

Posted on: 2008/11/26 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
If I am not mistaken, the "9" in your "2255-9-2723" indicates that your car is a 1949 model, not a 1948. And that being the case, you will most likely find that you have an R-11.

I have a similar situation with my 2262-9, which has an R-11.

Jay

Posted on: 2008/11/27 10:00
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, Jay is right as always, the -9- indicates either a 1949 (but 22nd series) car, or less likely a 1948 left-over which was retagged by the factory to make it a 1949. The later is probably not the case due to the very low sequence #.

As already pointed out, there are differences between R-9 and R-11 in quite a few respects (both being equally functional) but the easiest way to tell is by the relay. Large black with 6 leads for R-9, smaller cadmium-covered relay with intergral fuse holder for the R-11.

Posted on: 2008/11/27 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Visually, there are several clues to determine which overdrive is in a given car. The R-9 has the solenoid located on the right side of the transmission and used 4 wires for control. The R-11 solenoid is on the left side and uses only 2 wires. The overdrive cases also have either the R-9 or R-11 designation cast on the top surface. From under the hood, if the control cable goes down the driver's side of the engine the car is equipped with the R-11. Conversely, if it goes down the passenger side, the car is equipped with an R-9. Also the relay, mounted on the fire wall, is twice as large for the R-9 as the one for the R-11 unit.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.91 KB)
462_492f7ce0e3934.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2008/11/28 0:09
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Green
See User information
Wow! This group is awesome. You have collectively answered my question very well. Under many years of grease I found an upside down R-11 on the case casting. The picture of relay adds further confirmation.

Posted on: 2008/11/28 16:56
48 Custom
48 Custom Club Sedan
56 Studebaker Golden Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I am probably going to be a newbie at this business the rest of my life, but I did gain a little experience with the R-11 overdrive over the summer.

I did up a little webpage that explains (in newbie-speak) how the R-11 works, and how I repaired mine. I got lots of help and advice along the way. Click Here to see what I'm talking about. I hope it will be helpful to you.

Posted on: 2008/11/29 12:32
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved