Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 93

Packard Don, Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Rearward vision (mirrors)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In looking again at the picture of the 1932 Twin Six convertible victoria by Dietrich that I posted, I was thinking of driveability. Convertible victorias are notorious for horrible rearward visibility when driving, and not that sidemounted spare mirrors are all that useful, but they are something and obviously not an option on this car. Also the Dietrich rear-hinged doors eliminate the possibility for the hinge-pin type mirror. The only legitimate rear view mirror that I can think of that would even be a little functional is the EXTREMELY rare one mounted to the front headlight bracket and curving up over the front fender. The only set I've ever seen is on Bob Bahre's original 34 LeBaron 1108 phaeton. I'll post a picture of the seldom-seen hinge pin mirror on my 34, and see if I can later find a picture of the Bahre mirrors. Even with the hinge-pin mirror, rearward vision in my 34 sedan is pretty frightening in heavy traffic when you want to change lanes; the sidemount mirrors are nice-looking but only marginal, and the rear window is so high that you often can't see those little crap-boxes behind you.

EDIT: located the picture of the 34 1108 LeBaron (at the 1999 Centennial) with the unusual headlight-mounted rear view mirrors. This may be the Bahre car, not sure. In any case I don't believe these mirrors are listed in the standard 1934 accessories catalog so they may have been a LeBaron-only item. Still, interesting I think. Both photos by this writer.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.26 KB)
177_49356495d7b1a.jpg 1217X793 px

jpg  (109.97 KB)
177_49356ac3a4b1d.jpg 1183X793 px

Posted on: 2008/12/2 11:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Rearward vision (mirrors)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was a bit suprised that this topic didn't generate any interest, perhaps its a dud, or perhaps I didn't present it well. So let me include first the picture of the 1932 Twin Six Dietrich convertible victoria (photo by this writer about 1966) with dual rear spares that got me thinking about what it would be like to drive this car. Many of these cars have terrible rearward vision, none worse than the victorias. And without sidemounts on which to mount sidemount mirrors, and with rear-hinged doors eliminating the possibility of the Packard hinge-pin mirror, what are the options? I'll enclose a better picture taken by this writer after the PAC National in Boston at the Bahre collection of the front headlight mounted mirrors on Bob Bahre's LeBaron phaeton, and also a picture of his LeBaron coupe with fender-mounted mirrors. Again, none of these show in the 1934 accessory booklet so they may be LeBaron-only features.

One solution I saw on the Henry Joy III tour this year on a prewar classic was a marriage with modern technology; two small video cameras attached to each sidemount aimed rearward, with two display screens (right and left) mounted on the sun visor over the driver.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.41 KB)
177_4936d91af2d95.jpg 576X373 px

jpg  (110.50 KB)
177_4936d92d6b5ad.jpg 964X1280 px

Posted on: 2008/12/3 14:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Owen, I know the feeling about lack of rear view you are refrring to when driving in my 47 Clipper. The rear window is small and higher than most new cars so the rear view interior mirror is only good when looking at distant objects. Quiet often a small car can be directly behind me and invisible. I have two Packard door mount accessory mirrors as well which help somewhat but certainly leave a great deal to be desired. I do a lot of over the shoulder glancing back when making a lane change but have had a few close calls also with cars low and in the blind spots. I like the rear view camera idea and have given it a thought but with a 6 volt system there are obstacles to that idea. It is an interesting topic and perhaps otehrs will join in with suggestions and proven methods of improving rear vision in these old buses.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 14:19
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Carl
See User information
Owen --- saw your post about mirrors. Do you know of any availability of side mount mirrors for a 1941 Packard 180, Seven Passenger Touring Sedan, 1908, even if they are non-authentic Packard?

Also, how do I POST this question on a forum?

Thanx,

Carl,

Posted on: 2008/12/3 17:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Carl,

You post a question just like you did in replying to this thread. Just go to the forum of your choice, and click on the "New Topic" button.

That will start a new thread for your question, or if you want to ask a follow-up question to an existing thread, then simply click the "Reply" button in that thread.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not sure if u're looking for a period correct Packard approved accessory mirror or just need a good mirror of acceptable asthetics for the car and for driveability.

For enclosed cars Ford during the 30's and 40's offered a Peep Mirror that mounted at or near the top edge of the door with a couple of set screws and a rubber insulator to prevent scratching of the door. NO HOLES to drill. It just clamps on and is very compact and convenient and ez to mount or move or remove completely w/o leaving any scars. THese are rather common availability from various F vintage suppliers and fairly common in useage.

I suppose a similar mounting could be used for roadsters but mounted to the windshield frame. Not sure how the sidecurtains would interfere tho.

I have a similar mirror in my posession i can post a pic of the mounting if anyone is interested. REAL EZ to mount.

For those with spot lites how'bout a mirror on the spotlite??? Many spotlites were made during the 40's and 50's with a mirror attached.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 7:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure if u're looking for a period correct Packard approved accessory mirror or just need a good mirror of acceptable asthetics for the car and for driveability.

Thanks PackardV8 for your time and thoughts. I feel obliged to stay within the bounds of authenticity, thus the hingepin mirror seems the best solution for me, though DAMN pricey (about $465 from Jay Fisher). The doors on my car are steel skinned but wood framed and have no lip to which one of those peep mirrors could be mounted, not that I'd do so anyway as long as there was an alternative.

But in posting this I also thought folks would like a look at those unique and rare headlight-mounted mirrors on the LeBaron phaeton.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 9:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" Even with the hinge-pin mirror, rearward vision in my 34 sedan is pretty frightening in heavy traffic when you want to change lanes;"

Why is that????? Because they set too high ot too low????

Also, it seems to me that the headlite mounted mirrors with the LONG arm would be subject to vibration or wind flutter at speeds over 40 or 50 mph.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 11:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One reason is that you still can't see the little crap-boxes behind you when they are only a few feet off your rear bumper, which is part and parcel of today's driving habits. Another reason is that on the few occasions when I get on an Interstate, I just don't have the reserve of speed to accelerate enough to clear a space alongside.

As to the fluttering mirrors on the headlights of the LeBarons, I'm sure you're correct but with the exception of the Bahre car which I've been on a short driving tour with (CT concours a few years back), I doubt any of them go any further than off the trailer onto the show field. But they sure are a nifty accessory!

Posted on: 2008/12/4 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I didn't know if they fluttered or not. They don't on the car u rode in so then they don't.

However, i always had trouble seeing with side view mirrors that were mounted out on the fender or any more than 2 feet away from my head unless the mirrir head was exceptionaly large. Many MoPar products of the 60's thru 70's had mirrors mounted out on the fender tops. Also hard to adjust from sitting the drivers seat while driving.

I like the hinge mounted mirror on your car. But the complaint u had about not seeing puddle jumpers near the rear bumper is a problem i've had in nearly all of my vehicles modern and antique except maybe pick-ups and vans with the very large mirrors. Especialy like the Packard script on it too.

The hinge mount mirror on your car appears to have SS arm and mount at the hinge with chrome mirror head????

Posted on: 2008/12/4 15:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved