Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Executive engine color
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
literature indicates that the original engine color for the 1956 Executive is green metallic.

My car was a very late production model (5677-1990), and has an engine (No B 7129) that is completely painted in turqouise, including valve covers. There is no embossing in the covers, and if there were stickers, they were gone without a trace.

The engine looks as if it always was with this car.

I wonder if it is a replacement engine (at least 1955s were painted turquoise), or if Packard just ran out of grren engines in the final production time.

Posted on: 2017/3/12 14:55
The Ride Did Decide!

1956 Packard Executive Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: Executive engine color
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I'll let others here with more knowledge on the subject comment further, but the 1955-56 Packards to the best of my knowledge had matching engine number and identification number. An engine with a "B" prefix would indicate to me some sort of substitution for the original engine. I do not know the correct engine color for the Executive model, but think it would be the same as used for the Custom Clippers.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/3/12 16:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, the "B" prefixed number is the Utica Plant engine number and is in the correct series for Clipper Custom and the Executive. It is typically stamped on the rear right side of the block, just below the cylinder head but in very late cars it has occasionally been found elsewhere, usually where the conventional motor number is stamped. Just as with the vehicle numbers, they have a base of 1000, thus the first would have been B-1001 for that engine type. The "C" prefix is for the Caribbeans, "D" for The 400 and Patrician, and "A" for the base Clippers. Ultramatics use the same lettering and numbering scheme for their Utica plant numbers.

Posted on: 2017/3/12 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2017/3/12 16:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe JW is correct on the engine color. It should have been the same green as was used in 56 Clipper Customs. IIRC, there was a discussion a few years ago and it was determined the 56 green color is a bit different than the similar 55 turquoise. AFAIK, no vendor has repro'd the 56 color although I believe it was reported in that same discussion one would if he could get a pristine example known to be correct.

I believe the silver colored Packard embossed rocker covers were on the Executives but I don't know if they had the same red paint over the script the other Packard models used. The illustration would tend to indicate a black script.

Here is an engine as shown in the 56 Executive brochure. Granted, it is an illustration and not an actual photo but I believe it is still indicative of what was shipped.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.48 KB)
209_58c5c6393ffd2.jpg 694X598 px

Posted on: 2017/3/12 17:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks O_D. I was thinking about the stamped engine number near the oil fill tube at the top front of the engine which should match the vehicle identification number.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/3/13 10:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Thank you for your answers. They are indeed helpful, as I've learned for sure that this is the correct engine for my car, and is just painted inapprpriately. Why it is painted completely in turquoise remains a mystery. Looks kind of strange in this car, anyway. I think, I'll have it repainted in the correct green, black, and silver color scheme during the planned restoration.

Posted on: 2017/3/13 19:07
The Ride Did Decide!

1956 Packard Executive Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Be cautious until you can thoroughly document your vehicle.
It is only original once.

Posted on: 2017/3/13 21:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved