Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

DavidPackard, DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive or 2 spd axle 31 833
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rctraylor
See User information
Looking for suggestions on hi-way gearing? Columbia or Gear Vendor or ??

Posted on: 2017/4/24 9:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive or 2 spd axle 31 833
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Highway gearing is one thing, highway speeds in a '31 is a very different thing!

Posted on: 2017/4/24 9:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rctraylor
See User information
GREAT! Thanks..

Posted on: 2017/4/24 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A few here have reported good results with the Gear Vendor's overdrive. Replacing the Packard rear end with a Columbia unit would seem to me to be a complicated and expensive project. Some have mentioned having special high ratio (low numerically) gear sets (ring and pinion) made. Either way, a highway cruising gear ratio will allow your engine to run slower, and be more quiet and have less wear. You may not want to go any faster. JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/24 10:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rctraylor
See User information
Thanks, thinking more of reducing the wear & tear when out touring at this point. Not more speed...

Posted on: 2017/4/24 11:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you want to go forward with this, overdrive is by far the better option, especially since you have the small 320 engine. A significantly taller rear axle, especially when combined with the fairly large diameter of your tires, and you'll find yourself downshifting to a lower gear even on modest upgrades which you used to sail over with ease in high gear. If you have one of the lighter body styles and can find a ring/pinion set of 4.07 or thereabouts, that might be a nice compromise.

What is your current rear axle ratio and tire diameter? Data for your 833 below.

My '34 Eight has the 4.69 rear axle and 7:00x17 tires. I've put about 45,000 miles on the car and have tried during that time to avoid sustained speeds over 50 mph, and it's a bit happier at about 45 mph. I got my first hint of a rod knock (babbitt beginning to fail) at about 88,000 miles.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.89 KB)
177_58fe31fd179eb.jpg 516X609 px

Posted on: 2017/4/24 11:51
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rctraylor
See User information
Good info, thanks & not sure yet on my gearing thought I have the super 8 384 cid in my coupe.

Posted on: 2017/4/25 9:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved