Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

after market electric fans
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I got caught a couple times in traffic where the '56 Clipper got very hot, and just getting off the road was a problem on a freeway where traffic is at a crawl. I was thinking there are many aftermarket fan setups out there to keep the car cool and was wondering if anyone has done that, and if the generator will support the addition of this sort. Any insights appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 17:19
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Re: after market electric fans
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When Pat Green was posting this subject came up when he was having trouble and wanted to add AC on his 56. There are several threads on the subject of adding fans both pro and con if you want to do a search. . Here is one of the threads. Some have installed various fans but there are a couple of mounting considerations on the V8s.

Pat went ahead and installed a fan but it did not resolve the issue. Turned out someone had installed an el cheapo smaller core radiator in his car which was causing his problems. He posted again after he changed the radiator to one of the proper size that his car now ran cool and the fan wasn't needed.

I don't remember any specific fan models mentioned so if you do want to install one I would just do a search of the available 12v fans at Amazon, Jegs or Summitt and pick a size that will fit under the cross brace and has the least current draw. Battery drain could be an issue if the car is going slow in traffic or in a parade when the generator does not have much output. A few have gotten around that by changing to an alternator.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 19:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Short answer, no. Most electric fans pull more amps than the generator can replenish.

The Packard V8 is a cool running engine. If one overheats, there are usually only a few possibilities.

1. Ignition timing retarded.

2. Radiator sludged up.

3. Cylinder block sludged up. I've pulled down Packard V8s where there was sludge up above the core plugs in the side of the block. It's possible to clean the block in situ by removing the core plugs and using a garden hose and bent rods; the messiest job imaginable.

4. The gauge is not accurate. Did the radiator cap actually vent steam? If not, maybe the coolant was not as hot as the gauge indicated.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/10/24 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My experiences mirror Jack Vine's comments, the V8 Packards have very competent cooling systems, pretty much immune to serious overheating except in the most severe conditions. Before I went to the effort and expense to install an electric pusher fan I'd take steps to insure that my cooling system was fully up to it's original capabilities.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 9:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
THanks for your thoughts on this, normally the guage shows 1/4 to a 1/3 the range and my feeling is the car generally runs cool. The issue revolves are standing still in traffic with a mechanical fan barley turning on a hot day so there is no air flow. But under most situations overheating is no issue so it doesnt seem like bad radiators dirt in the sysem is a problem, but flushing seems relatively easy thing to do to try and clean it out so problay worth a shot, sounds like an alternator would likely be needed, I'd rather not do that but some reseach on fans may be needed.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 13:10
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are trying to keep a stock look and leaning toward an alternator you might investigate a PowerGen.http://www.qualitypowerauto.com It would look almost original and should be a relatively easy bolt in with the existing bracket and maybe a spacer.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 13:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
We (2 '56 V8 cars) stood essentially motionless or at a slight crawl in traffic on I-78 with temps of 100? F. for at least 2 hours enroute to the Gettysburg National meet. Temp gauge on both cars moved almost full travel to "H" yet neither car overheated enough to boil, or to vapor-lock. In my view that's just normal behavior in a very stressful situation.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Make sure you check and see that it has the correct thermostat in the car when i bought mine someone put an incorrect thermostat in it when I bought the proper one from autozone my problems went away.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 14:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Before you go aftermarket go to the junk yard. I've heard successful stories from guys taking Camry fans.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 10:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved