Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 238

William Grosz, todd landis, dick29, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electrical Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
The front door switches will not turn off the under-dash courtesy lamps. I checked the switches with an ohm meter and they are working. I'm using the #82 bulb that the owner's manual calls for. The lamps burn all the time, whether the doors are open or closed. The rear dome light works properly when a rear door is opened, goes off when it closes. It also works with the switch on the post between the doors. It is a front-only problem, it seems. The '46-'50 service manual is no help. Does anyone have an idea of what I'm not finding?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted on: 2018/3/18 19:39
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: Electrical Problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The lights are probably overridden by the instrument panel dimmer switch. Or in some years and. models you have a map light switch which activates the courtesy lights and overrides the door pillar switch. Check your owner's manual to see which applies to your car.

Posted on: 2018/3/18 20:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Map lite switch on 22-23 series is parallel with door switches and is most likely keeping the lights on. If the switch is not on or has no effect look for a shorted wire touching ground going to the map switch or to one of the door switches.

Posted on: 2018/3/18 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Omigosh! I haven't owned one of these 22-23 series cars since about 1977. I forgot completely about that map light switch. I'll check it out tomorrow. Bet that's the problem. Thanks, guys.

Posted on: 2018/3/18 20:50
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Came out to the shop this morning and pushed the maplight switch once, closed the door and the lights went off. Feeling now as though I'm in line for a Darwin Award.

Thanks for the help, fellows.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 5:12
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Don't feel so bad , it is hard to tell when these switches are on or off. I always check the head lights to be sure they are off.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 16:52
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That's not even a honorable mention for a Darwin award. Lights were on, but no one was home applies maybe...

Posted on: 2018/3/21 10:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved