Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

stainless window trim
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
I am currently in the process of installing new weather stripping on the front and back windows in 1955 400 and experiencing considerable difficulty in the application of the stainless steel trim. The service manual suggests that the rear window upper trim together with the weather stripping be install as an assembly into the. Window opening. I did this, but one of the compound curved end pieces came lose and I could not reinstall it with the rubber in position. So I took the window out and tried it again with similar results. Next I tried cementing on the trim with mixed results. I would be most interested in hearing any suggestions or comments from people that have experiences with this. As always, past comments and suggestions have helped a lot and are always deeply appreciated.

happy

Posted on: 2018/3/25 10:59
 Top  Print   

Re: stainless window trim
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am assuming Steele Rubber? I had issues with the same thing on a windshield many years ago because I think the rubber Steele uses is softer than the original. IMO the rubber is a bit too flexible so the molding flanges are not gripped tight enough by the rubber grooves and keeps popping out.

I managed with some dabs of weatherstrip cement in the grooves and kind of twisting the molding as best I could to get it to conform so there was the least stress at the top of curves where mine wanted to pop out. Held the molding with masking tape to keep it more or less in the grooves until cement dried but it was a struggle.

Posted on: 2018/3/25 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Thanks Howard, for your quick response. It's always good to be able to get feedback from someone who's been there and done that. So I will continue along with cementing the upper and side trim to the seal before installing.
Many thanks, and yes, the seals were from steel rubber.
Happy

Posted on: 2018/3/25 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have found that in some situations where it is hard to get the standard glues (for cementing) to work that a tube of black urethane sealant will work wonders. The stuff is available from the big box stores (e.g. Lowe's. Home Depot, etc.) in the weather caulking sections. Make sure it is a urethane material. Use it as a glue and use tape to hold everything in place while it cured. Wait a week or so for curing and hardening. I'm almost certain that the glued portion will not fail and your weather strip will be in place

I had problems with the black windshield weather stripping on my '32 901 and trying to install it in the window frame. I cut off a portion of the "T" section from the weather strip and used he urethane sealant to glue it to the strip. I held it in place for a week with Blue painters tape as the urethane cured.

Posted on: 2018/3/25 22:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved