Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 200 DeLuxe Ultramatic Questions
Just popping in
Just popping in

philo4500
See User information
Hi there

I'm reading her since a longer time. I have a 1952' 200 Deluxe Sedan with Ultramatic, Easamatic, Hydraulic Lifters.

I have following questions:

I did a Hydraulic Lifter Change Job. After assemblage of the head with a new head gasket it is necessary to draw back the head screws more than one time to have the 62 Footpounds correctly?

Which Oil i should use for my 288 Engine (with Oil Filter Canister and Bypass Hose to the Lifter Gallery). I would say a 20W50 Classic Oil? (Engine is still in Original 65'000miles condition, with Oli Pan removed and cleaned from Stuck by myself)

Which Oil i do need for the Ultramatic Transmission? Is there a Filter Unit i need to change?

With best regards from Switzerland
Felix

Attach file:

jpg  (184.96 KB)
101211_5ac1863c356c8.jpg 960X960 px

Posted on: 2018/4/1 20:24
 Top  Print 

Re: 1952 200 DeLuxe Ultramatic Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Beautiful car and pleasant to drive.

It is a good idea to retorque the head again after a few hundred miles.

20-50 seems a bit thick. Engines will wear to accommodate a thick oil, that is, tight clearances will open up until the oil can get in. In moderate Swiss temperatures a straight 30 would probably be quite OK. I run 15w-40 here.

Your Ultramatic has a screen that you can wash out while you have the pan off. Be sure to drain the convertor too; you will have to remove the lower bell housing. The drain plugs for that protrude through the face of the flywheel. Packard said to remove both plugs to prevent airlock while draining. I have never found that necessary. Fill with any older style automatic fluid you can find there--something Opel might have specified in the eighties for example.

Posted on: 2018/4/2 4:48
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

philo4500
See User information
Yes i do like my Packard very much to drive, in Switzerland they are only a handfull of this Reinhardt Cars. Originally my Car comes from Wisconsin.

I did also retorque the Head Nuts today after 140km. It had a bit space on the Nuts after the Tour.
So i will see what i can get here for Automatic Transmission Oil. By the Way I have the original Service Manual.

Thank You
best regards
Felix

Posted on: 2018/4/2 10:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would think you'd be able to find Type FA transmission fluid available over there, a number of European cars specified it as late as the 1990s IIRC. And it's entirely suitable for your Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2018/4/2 11:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Felix. I run 10w40 in my car here in Germany. I consulted the author of a book about choosing oil for classic cars, richard mitchel.
my oil thread

-Mike

Posted on: 2018/4/2 15:24
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved