Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spark plug wires.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
I know there are many options but I wonder if any of you have a preference for a particular type of plug wires?
1950 8 sedan.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 9:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark plug wires.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Other than the classic era cars that used fabric covered wire in various colors I think most postwar owners are now using the copper core Packard Electric rubber covered wire. Some have bought a length of wire and terminals from Napa and made their own. There were some vendors that had (and may still have) the black somewhat stiff shiny coated wire that was used immediately postwar for sale as kits. I believe those wires are only terminated on one end and you cut and terminate the other end to fit.

As far as I know the only vendor having premade sets cut to length and terminated on both ends with the proper terminals for the year is Dwight Heinmullerhttp://www.packardparts.org/products/packard-parts He has his kits made to order using the Packard 440 wire which is the more modern flexible black rubber wire. His type "A" kit with non booted straight fittings at the plug end would be correct for your car but is a bit more expensive than kits available from others.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 10:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If I recall, all I did was go to the local parts store and we found a "shortie" V8 set(GM) that fit the new cap, and just put them on where they fit. I don't recall if they're 7 or 8 mm, it's in the manual, but lean to 7.
You can get extra plug ends that crimp on if you have to adjust the length.

Posted on: 2018/8/22 9:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
Actually I ended up ordering a set from Rock Auto. I just now got them in the mail. They are nicer looking than off the shelf wires and supposedly made to fit. We'll see. They are made by Packard Wire and cost a little more than something from the auto parts store but still a lot cheaper than something from one of the high dollar on line sellers. My old ones are in rough shape so these should help.

Posted on: 2018/8/22 13:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
Interested to hear how they work for you. I am in need of a set for my 48.

Staying tuned.

Posted on: 2018/8/23 8:47
1948 Packard 2262 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan ? "Clara Belle"
1964 Rambler Classic 550 ? "Ramona"

Wishlist: 1939 Graham Spirit of Motion, Shark nose
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
These wires are not made for these cars, they have the wrong ends on them, made for HEI ignition and the wires are way to long. Back they go. I ended up getting a set from Fusick Oldsmobile parts because they are close to me I can see what I'm buying. The other set was also 8MM and did not fit in the loom,

Posted on: 2018/8/24 15:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved