Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Terry Martin - RIP
Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Terry Martin, founder of the National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio, passed away on Sunday, February 10, 2019 at the age of 82.

Terry wrote the first four chapters of Automobile Quarterly's book "Packard - A History of the Motor Car and the Company," covering the Packard family and the cars during the Warren, Ohio years. In the early 1980s he restored the original 1903 "Old Pacific" for the Henry Ford Museum. In 1983, drove his own 1903 (named "Old Pacific II") from San Fransisco to New York, retracing Tom Fetch's route of 80 years earlier. In 2003, he once again drove (and trailered) "Old Pacific II" coast to coast.

Without Terry, we would not know as much as we do now about Packard's early history. His obituary can be found at:

https://www.lanefuneralhomes.com/obituary/Theodore-McCarl-Terry-Martin/Leavittsburgh-Ohio/1834731

Posted on: 2019/2/12 14:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Terry Martin - RIP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I am deeply saddened at the loss of this great and dedicated Packard historian. His tireless work in preserving Packard history will be missed.

Posted on: 2019/2/12 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was there at San Francisco's Cliff House for the send-off of the cross-country trip and was even recently looking at the photos of that event. Very sorry to hear of Terry's death.

Attach file:

jpg  (421.31 KB)
60923_5c660b4d56d6a.jpg 1920X1271 px

jpg  (317.25 KB)
60923_5c660b5cacdfd.jpg 1294X1920 px

jpg  (322.52 KB)
60923_5c660b67bbe35.jpg 1920X1271 px

Posted on: 2019/2/14 14:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe I first met Terry when he came East at the invitation of the Eastern Packard Club to give a presentation at the Duck Cedar Inn in Tuxedo NY of his historic reenactment of Old Pacific's transcontinental trip, I guess that was 1984 or 1985. And we met a few times after that, at the Centennial in 1999 and again a few times after that at the museum. The hobby has lost a great historian, author and a driving force behind saving Packard history for future generations.

Posted on: 2019/2/14 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Although I never had the pleasure to know Terry Martin, I read his accounts of the reenactment of the Old Pacific transcontinental trip of 1983 in awe of his courage to embark on such a major endeavor. His commitment to the preservation of Packard history has few equals. We're all richer for his efforts in life, much to celebrate. RIP Mr. Martin.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/2/14 21:06
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved