Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

533 brake pad/drum suggestion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am in need of new drum pads for my 533 -6.

I would like to know if anyone has gone to disc brakes vs the drums, and if was worth the trouble.

Thanks
Gar

Posted on: 2019/6/3 12:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 533 brake pad/drum suggestion
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I would not even think about a disc brakes conversion. It would be a huge job and all it would achieve is less brake fade on say a long steep descent where you ride the brakes all the way which shouldn't be done
If you make sure the new linings for your shoes are the correct woven type for mechanical brakes it will then be able to lock the wheels. Disc brakes would not do any better.
But the car must have the correct linings. This is essential and not generally known by regular modern brake repairers. Lining materials for modern cars require hydraulic brakes with boosters to achieve the friction for stopping. The mechanical brakes on your 533 cannot exert enough pressure at the linings to achieve the friction required for good braking with modern linings.
I have a 633, it has excellent brakes - for a 90 year old car

Posted on: 2019/6/3 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
BRAKE PARTS AND SERVICE: I don't know how I forgot this, but you should contact Moose Motors in Pengrove CA for any classic brake parts and talk to Jeff. He has a world-class supply of brake parts and the ability to modify them. When I was there his co-worker was recreating and machining brake drums that are no longer available in any condition for a vintage car.

He is a friendly, helpful guy and Packard guy through and through. (707) 792-9985

He has a healthy sense of humor, too. Calling him is the best way to reach him.

See the "Brake adjustment" Topic for pictures

Posted on: 2019/6/4 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks for all of the help. I had the drums turned and installed the new bonded shoes on my front axle. I drove around town for several blocks and I adjusted them about every 100 yds, until I got a good clean, non pulling stop. Front breaks are working nicely.

Now I will put some miles on these shoes and see how they react.

Posted on: 2019/6/15 13:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved