Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

245 mods
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Okay, so maybe my first go 'round with this new (to me) 1947 Clipper with the idea of shoehorning a 327 into it isn't quite going my way. More re-engineering will be required, it seems. Maybe this is a job for the other car, the one with cancer which will require a bunch more work anyway.

Obvious upgrade: brakes. Go is fun, but stop is mandatory.

My basic questions are as follows, and likely more will follow those.

1: I'm presuming that one can bore the block out another 1/16" to 3.5625. Is this a reasonable idea?

2: Has anyone ever tried to rework one of these crankshafts, or one like it (like a 327) by machining the rod journals down to big block Chevy size to gain a stroker crank? Thoughts?

3: Obviously a bit of porting and relieving, but what about a cam with a bit more lift and overlap, too?

4: And, of course, boost. Supercharging or turbocharging. Turbo might be easier, and an intake manifold would have to be fabricated (most likely) for the intake. And with all that out there, would it begin to make sense to look into an EFI system?

Out there? Maybe. Just trying to get the most ooomph that can be had from this old engine and create something one-off along the way.

Posted on: 2021/4/1 20:11
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Re: 245 mods
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
These motor are pretty long stroke. The longer the stroke, the more likely to come apart at high RPM. Hence why these are relatively low RPM motors.

You should talk to Ross, he's done some component swapping / mixing and matching with 288/327/359 components.

Posted on: 2021/4/1 20:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Perhaps I was vague, or didn't include enough of my thinking. I'm thinking, probably 4500-4600 RPM as absolute top.

My winding of a long stroke engine theory comes from some experience with some of the original long stroke winders - Harley Davidsons. I have a (factory stage 4 kit) built 2020 engine with a 4.375 stroke, and it's never been over 4K. They say it'll turn 6200, but I just don't run my stuff that hard. I'm a zero-60 guy. Okay, zero-80. Cruising is nice, too. It's all about Getting There. Seems that an old car engine with good components should be capable of the better part of 5K. Think: nine mains on a big 8. But this is a 6 discussion.

Apparently, there is a good machine shop near here. Does old stuff. Flathead Fords and such. And apparently, they are very busy and very backed up on work. If I decide to use them as opposed to going to the closest Big City, I might get the block back in time to build it for Spring. Of 2022.

I guess that I need to take this thing to pieces and research what's available to do things like lighten and strengthen the rotating assembly and the like.

Posted on: 2021/4/2 4:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Not sure it would survive long at that rpm or not. I also have a 1946 Packard with the 245 engine. Compression could probably be increased. Would need to check for head to valve clearance first. I noted that the 245 and the 327 share the same bore and stroke. The 327 uses larger intake valves. Not sure if these could be retro fitted in the 245 or not. Same as the cam grind on a 327 has more lift than the cam of the 245 does. Whether the 245 cam could be ground to a similar profile. my friend is a big advocate of using a turbocharger on engines. He say that is the easiest way to increase power.

Posted on: 2021/4/2 10:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My stock but rebuilt 1940 110’s 245 engine would spin the tires! As a rhetorical question, why would you need more power than that? Of course, the tires were also stock 6.50X16 so were skinny with little surface contact and spun easily.

Posted on: 2021/4/2 14:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Hmmm, because more is better?!?

Also, it looks like I can get 235-70r15s in it so there will be a bit more to spin.

Posted on: 2021/4/4 6:07
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved