Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

humanpotatohybrid, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Twin Ultramatic problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I was on a club tour today with my 56 Patrician.Things were going well and the car performed good until we hit a stretch of winding uphill back roads.As I was going up the one stretch, the car downshifted and when it tried to upshift, it sounded like I was attempting to downshift a non- synchro standard trans(loud grinding like sound).I hit the highway for home and to add insult to injury, my drivers side wiper blade flew off the car during a downpour.Now, when the car shifts into direct drive, it makes and audible Gerrr sound whereas before it was smooth and quiet.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 14:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Twin Ultramatic problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
GTO, I think it's important background to add to your question to state that the transmission was rebuilt some years back, close to 10 years, but then sat for quite a few years w/o being used until you recently put it back on the road.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Owen-dyneto, Please forgive my ignorance but why would that be of importance? Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/13 17:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Generally, the more information you have at hand the better a diagnosis you can make.

Direct drive clutch plates can "glaze" or become surface-hardened with age, and worn with use. I thought it important for diagnosticians to know the DD clutch plate was new but that the car was idle for some time.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 17:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thank you, makes sense

Posted on: 2009/6/13 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
to paraphrase a letter we send out "what will I do?"

Posted on: 2009/6/13 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
rolling on flat land, dose it still have engine brakeing if you take your foot of the gas? or dose it coast?

Posted on: 2009/6/13 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Yes.It still has engine braking.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 6:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Since you experienced a grinding noise on an upshift, it isn't likely a problem with the planetary gear train since that's only turning in low range or reverse.

That you're hearing the noise when it shifts into direct drive certainly suggest the problem is within the converter - though that clutch is controlled from within the transmission.

A moan or groan could be due to a glazed lining (but why all of the sudden?). That condition might be alleviated by alternate fluids or additives.

However, finding the source of some other noise involving the DD clutch will likely require removal of the converter and inspection of its internal workings. Yet, since I've only ever had one of these apart just once, and that was decades ago, I wouldn't even want to venture a guess what it may be.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Something i just thought of, i wonder if one of the springs in the direct drive broke. so as to not maintain propper pressure on the disc. since it still has braking, we know the sprag is ok.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 14:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved