Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55-56 Wheels (Rims)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Which is the "correct" color scheme for 1955 senior rims? Should the rims match the primary color of the car or is a 60% black color acceptable?

My 400 rims are currently turquoise and I was recently questioned about the authenticity of such. The man that inquired thought that the rims should be black in color?

Opinions?

thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (103.29 KB)
20_4a80d7e6da969.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 Wheels (Rims)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting question and I hope someone has a definitive answer since the parts book doesn't list any trim code for wheels. What's a 60% black? My current Caribbean HT was & is red-- a Patrician I had earlier was body color, blue. I believe both to have been original.

While I know brochures have a lot of artistic license in the illustrations, looked thru my 55 & 56 they pretty much all show body color. In addition, there were a few of what appear to be actual pictures of a couple of 55 Patricians in one and those wheels were also painted body color.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My 56 400 wheels were originally Eire Green which is one of the two body colors, the other being Dover White. Memory says the wheels were black inside. I have never seen white wheels. Friend's 56 Pat has red wheels on a Maltese gray/Dover white body. Pat has only 15,000 original miles. I have seen a lot of red wheels on various 55-56 Packards.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 1:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
This was some discussion of this a couple of years ago:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=212&forum=3&post_id=1149#forumpost1149

..with a bit more on some exceptions for red wheels in another thread:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=393&forum=3&post_id=2449#forumpost2449

Don't confuse Packard's wheel treatment with those of other manufacturers and/or later years.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 7:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks BH et al for the info. I'm planning on staying with the turquoise colored wheels.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 21:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
My car has one in each color, the spare is pink!

Posted on: 2009/8/19 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
the wheels on my 56 are black, but they definately dont have a factory paint job. the spare is green, which matches the cars original color.

My 2 55s have black spares and wheels, which ive never looked at all that closely.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 12:58
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Another question reference rims; is there a minimum diameter that the lug holes should be for the 1955 Packard? The shoulders on some of my lug-bolts seem to close to the outer edges of the lug holes! Do I have a safety issue here or am I maybe imagining things?

Posted on: 2009/8/29 14:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is it a Packard rim? I had a similar situation-- believe it was on an Avanti-- when substituting rims from another car. The head was out to the edge as you describe and turned out while the wheels fit the hub perfectly, the bolt holes were larger because the donor car used larger bolts.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 15:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved