Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

brke job
Just popping in
Just popping in

logjam
See User information
I am trying to replace the brakes on my 48 packard. I got the tires off and have removed the large nut on the brake drum. But I cannot get the drum itself off. I referred to the brake section in the repair manual and saw that they used a specific drum puller. I tried a gear puller with jaws that fit over the back of the drum but had no success. I didn't think it would be easy. But am not having any luck here. Any suggestions would be great.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 13:09
 Top  Print   

Re: brke job
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Follow this thread along with the links.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=35213#forumpost35213 On the thread that shows the proper puller, some have mentioned where they obtained one. The type I believe you describe will not work on really tight drums as yours appear to be and will probably damage them.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 13:28
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Find a store that sells KD tools and ask for # 2251. Not cheap but its the only thing that works. If you can't find one contact me via PM. I sell them
MikeG

Posted on: 2009/8/25 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Wait a minute guys, before you start offering up advice on pullers and the like, do we know if he's working on the front or the rear? If it's the front and they're not coming off, then he needs to back the shoes off some more. My front ones were pretty stubborn and took a little persuasion but no puller was needed.

If it's the rear of course you need a puller, but find out where someone's at on the car before you recommend a puller for the front brakes!

Posted on: 2009/8/25 15:03
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Good point. Where he says that the manual refeered to a special puller I just assumed... and you know what that means

Posted on: 2009/8/25 15:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You need a puller similar to the this one (this is a 20+ year old Blue Point version). But it needs to attach using the lug bolts. Just make sure you leave the axle nut on, but just loose a few threads or the drum will fly across the room when it "pops". Then you can remove the axle nut and drum.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.93 KB)
1_4a949737dcbdd.jpg 445X529 px

jpg  (61.96 KB)
1_4a9497c6adc4f.jpg 765X768 px

Posted on: 2009/8/25 21:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Only pound on the ears of the puller as shown in the photo. DO NOT strike the shaft part as this may damage bearings and gears.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 11:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved