Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 250

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Battery Cables Sign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120512211327

I am the seller of this one.... let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/12/30 22:47
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Battery Cables Sign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Possibly made by Packard electric, no affiliation to PMMC.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 0:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Really? Wow.. The script sure seemed to be similar to me. Anyone have any more information on a sign like this or 'Packard Electric'??

Thanks Eric!

Posted on: 2009/12/31 8:47
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Found this regarding 'Packard Electric' which is affiliated to the Packard Motor Car Company....

Packard Electric Company

Home ?History ?Organizations ?Packard Electric Company

The Packard family was involved in a number of business enterprises in the community of Warren, Ohio, in the second half of the nineteenth century. Those business interests were diverse, including lumber mills, hardware stores, hotels, and an iron rolling mill. In 1890, William Doud Packard and his brother James Ward Packard established the Packard Electric Company, which produced incandescent bulbs.

One of the Packard Electric Company's subsidiaries was the New York and Ohio Company, which produced the first Packard Motor Car in 1899. The new manufacturing interest was first known as the Ohio Automobile Company, but the family renamed it the Packard Motor Car Company in 1902.

In 1932, Packard became part of the General Motors Corporation. It eventually became known as Delphi Packard Electric Systems, which still exists today.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 8:50
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Eric... hate to call you out on this one but I think that Packard Electric certainly was part of the Packard Corporation.

Found this ad for Packard Battery Cables:

Attach file:

jpg  (145.67 KB)
1980_4b3cad2d9f32d.jpg 789X927 px

Posted on: 2009/12/31 8:54
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Packard family had many interests. Packard Electric was one of them. While Packard Motor Car Company PMCC) did buy the cables and wiring from Packard Electric, they were two separate companies with no direct corporate umbrella.

After Packard moved to Detroit, the Packard Family over the years really had little to do with the PMCC anymore. That newsletter was from the 40s. Well after Packard Electric was consumed by General Motors.

It just the case of using the familiar name to market to the customers. After all the electrical systems in a Packard were supplied by Packard Electric (Delphi), as were the electrical system in all the GM cars. Look at the wire coloring schematic for a 50's Packard and a 50's GM car. Most of the wire coloring schema is identical.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Eric... hate to call you out on this one but I think that Packard Electric certainly was part of the Packard Corporation.

Bill, if you look at the bottom of that ad below the "Packard" name it says: "Packard Electric Division, General Motors Corporation".

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Eric, I hesitate to repeat what's already been said here, but Packard Electric was the company owned by the Packard Bros. which financed their entry into the car business. They sold it later to GM and it's still located in Warren OH as GM's Delphi. They were (are?) a significant contributor to the Packard Museum in Warren, and played a significant part in hosting the Warren Centennial in 1999. If you have a copy of the Kimes book, perhaps you'd find some of the early history of the company interesting reading.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Touche!! So it was part of the Packard Family originally as described in the write up I has found:

"In 1932, Packard(Electric)became part of the General Motors Corporation. It eventually became known as Delphi Packard Electric Systems, which still exists today."

And GM kept using the name as it was recognizable....

Soooo.. it is sort of kind of but not really a 'Packard' sign ;)

Thanks for the info fellas! Happy New Year!!

Eric... back to the garage!!! Get that awsome project finished :) (New Years Resolution ??)

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:33
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Eric, I hesitate to repeat what's already been said here, but Packard Electric was the company owned by the Packard Bros. which financed their entry into the car business. They sold it later to GM and it's still located in Warren OH as GM's Delphi. They were (are?) a significant contributor to the Packard Museum in Warren, and played a significant part in hosting the Warren Centennial in 1999. If you have a copy of the Kimes book, perhaps you'd find some of the early history of the company interesting reading.

This I know. I'm pointing out the fact that WHEN this sign was made it was no longer affiliated with PMMC. Therefore, it isn't PMMC related. Sort of..

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved